PDA

View Full Version : Honda Accord Paint Peeling => help?

Pages : [1] 2

astro13rm
06-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Honestly, I`m not sure how it started -- it could have been a rock strike or whatnot. It`s on the right rear bumper (starting at the wheel well) on my 2006 Honda Accord.

The paint is actually peeling away -- I`m in the process of trying to get the touch up paint from the dealership but they have been having a hard time locating it since the car is still relatively new. The paint peels away even if water is sprayed at it. The spot that has peeled is about 1-2 inches by .5 inch. It goes all the way down to the black plastic of the bumper.

Will applying the touch-up paint stop the peeling or will it continue? Any other ideas of what I can do?

Have you guys ever heard of something like this? I`ve never had paint on a car peel away like this.

Thanks in advance!

SpoiledMan
06-28-2006, 09:10 PM
I`d go for getting a new car! There is no way that this should be happening with a new car. It`s going to take some fighting though.

EDIT: Just reread that it`s the bumper. No touch up, it should be repainted properly. The paint shouldn`t peel away when sprayed with water.

astro13rm
06-28-2006, 09:26 PM
I`d go for getting a new car! There is no way that this should be happening with a new car. It`s going to take some fighting though.

EDIT: Just reread that it`s the bumper. No touch up, it should be repainted properly. The paint shouldn`t peel away when sprayed with water.

Is that something you think Honda would/could/should do?

I bought it in September, so it`s not fresh off the lot, but well within all warranties. However, I don`t think the paint is covered. Is it expensive to get a bumper repainted?

SpoiledMan
06-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Paint is covered under the basic new car warranty.

NEW AGAIN
06-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Have you thought that the bumper have been repaired before you recieved the vehicle have seen it done ALL THE TIME dealer will not DIVULGE to you because damaged was less than 25% sound like they skip a step in the painting process. anyway GOOD LUCK

a.k.a. Patrick
06-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Ill say it again, Honda of America has the worst paint program know to man...........

SpoiledMan
06-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Patrick, from what I`ve seen there are still quite a few that are worse. Two of mine have very good and decently flat paint. The other depends on how you look at it.:D

astro13rm
06-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Mind if I ask what approach you`d recommend with the dealer?

I am wondering if they are just going to say something along the lines of, "Well, a rock hit it and it`s not our fault."

How do you combat that line of thinking?

SpoiledMan
06-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Paint applied properly should not peel away when water is shot at it from a hose even if it is chipped. Do you have any pictures?

a.k.a. Patrick
06-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Patrick, from what I`ve seen there are still quite a few that are worse. Two of mine have very good and decently flat paint. The other depends on how you look at it.:D

Chris, 99.99% of America doesnt care for their car like you my friend........ :shocked

SpoiledMan
06-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I do give my cars sponge baths!:D:D:D

Tasty
06-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Mind if I ask what approach you`d recommend with the dealer?

I am wondering if they are just going to say something along the lines of, "Well, a rock hit it and it`s not our fault."

How do you combat that line of thinking?

Yeah, first you be nice but insistent. If that doesn`t work you start going over people`s heads rapidly until you get the results you want. NO WAY on an `06 Accord should this be happening. Keep us posted.

imported_themightytimmah
06-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Yeah that might be a sign of a lousy repaint at the dealer level. Our Camry had some bodywork done at the dealer prior to delivery (we bought it used and they fixed a crack in the front airdam) and they cheaped out on the repaint, causing the entire bumper to begin peeling. Because it was a used car, they refused to fix it, but on a new car it should be covered by the manufacturer`s warranty. Make sure they do the repair right and don`t just half-*** it like they did on ours.

qballjr13
06-29-2006, 03:56 AM
Unless there is proof that you hit something or someone hit you it shouldnt even be an issue. Just go in and show them whats going on. I think your over complicating the situation. If the service department does not agree to make the repair just call Honda USA and I can almost gaurantee you will get it fixed for free.

astro13rm
06-29-2006, 07:18 PM
I took the car over to Honda -- it looks like they`ll cover it under warranty! Thanks for the input!