PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor car covers, good or bad idea?

wolfe
06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
My parking spot regularly gets hit by mist from the sprinkler system, which is very hard water (will leave spots). The water is quite a fine mist which gradually drifts onto the rear passenger side of the car, especially the wheel/brake disc. The sprinklers usually come on at around 10-11pm so going outside to dry the car off when they`re done isn`t really a viable option.

I`m considering a car cover, but on a new car with more eco-friendly paint and notoriously soft clear, I`m concerned it will make a real mess of the paint. Mazda makes a fitted cover for my car which is supposed to be soft and breatheable, though I am fairly sure it only reaches around 2/3 of the way down the wheels.

The mazda cover is under $140 I believe, so if there`s an aftermarket one which is better, I`d like to keep it to around the same price, or less.

Are there any drawbacks/benefits to using a cover, or anything else I could consider (other than parking somewhere else!).

Thanks!

REaL
06-28-2006, 05:37 PM
I also have the same problem at work but I get hit with a mists of tree sap. I believe theres a nice car cover at costco for around $30. Try it if u dont like it return it.

VelvetRose
06-28-2006, 06:44 PM
I use a truck cover that I got at Pep Boys for $70. Some :furious: stole my semi-custom cover (that was locked on my truck). Just make sure your car is clean before you cover. Use some detail spray and a microfiber cloth to get rid of dust before the cover goes on.

I`m all for car covers. If you get a good quality one, it can protect your paint from UV damage as well as the interior of the car. You will want a light moisture resistant cover. Some covers only protect from dust and nothing else.