PDA

View Full Version : Used Zaino Z-2 PRO first time!

Pages : [1] 2

percynjpn
06-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Hi folks,

I finally had a chance to use Z-2 PRO for the first time today (sorry, no pics). I applied it in conjunction with ZFX, after polishing my `92 Champagne Gold Metallic Silvia "K`s" with Optimum Polish by Cyclo with Cyclo white pads.

Some thoughts:

1) Don`t care for the smell too much.

2) A bit difficult to spread (kind of "thick"), compared to my other favorite sealants: 1Z Glanz Wax (easiest application in the world!) and UPP (easiest to remove IME).

3) I found it difficult to remove. The temp was about 30C with 60% humidity. I waited about thirty minutes before removal. It may have been the humidity, but after that I used the last tiny remainder for a second application on the hood, then came back about two hours later - same result. I used about 2/3 of an ounce on the whole vehicle (and since there was extra left over, I also applied it to the wheels, too). In short, it was applied VERY thin.

4) Looks: Excellent! My car is a very pale gold; it gives better "gloss" than (my other favorites for this color, UPP and S100). It shines wonderfully, but it doesn`t provide what I`d call "deep luster" - a rich, deep - something :o . That doesn`t mean it doesn`t look good - just different from what I`m used to. I don`t agree with the assessment that it makes the paint look like it`s "wrapped in plastic". It really looks great, I just can`t describe it well. Overall, I find the look striking and have found a new favorite. I have a feeling its look on black or red will make me more biased as to which product should be used on those particular colors, but you`ve got a new Zaino fan here! :getdown

ZaneO
06-28-2006, 08:01 AM
Good report.

Couple of tips:

Spritzing your applicator with distilled water or QD makes application really easy.

2/3 oz. should have been good for *at least* 2 full coats on the vehicle. You should barely be able to see it going on - this makes application and removal nearly effortless (also reduces drying time).

percynjpn
06-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Good report.

Couple of tips:

Spritzing your applicator with distilled water or QD makes application really easy.

2/3 oz. should have been good for *at least* 2 full coats on the vehicle. You should barely be able to see it going on - this makes application and removal nearly effortless (also reduces drying time).

I did actually spritz the (foam) app with distilled water; even so, it was more difficult to spread than other products I`ve used. For removal, maybe I just used too much product, but I think the "thickness" of it made it difficult to spread easilly. I think next time I`ll try to apply it with a cotton or MF applicator, which may make it easier to apply.

imported_memnuts
06-28-2006, 08:29 AM
I think next time I`ll try to apply it with a cotton or MF applicator, which may make it easier to apply.

I personally can not spread Z very well using a sponge-type applicator. I am sure you will be surprise how well cotton (my first choice) or MF pads works without increasing amount used.

As the saying goes...if you think you applied a thin coat you still applied tooo much.;)

Nice, fair and objective review. Well written. :2thumbs:

Z looks great on Red (Torch). Some will :argue

percynjpn
06-28-2006, 09:00 AM
I personally can not spread Z very well using a sponge-type applicator. I am sure you will be surprise how well cotton (my first choice) or MF pads works without increasing amount used.

As the saying goes...if you think you applied a thin coat you still applied tooo much.;)

Nice, fair and objective review. Well written. :2thumbs:

Z looks great on Red (Torch). Some will :argue

Thanks for the advice; after the next wash, I`ll apply the next coat by cotton app.!

Todd

TortoiseAWD
06-28-2006, 09:08 AM
percynjpn,

If you have a PC, you might consider giving machine application a try. I also think Z2Pro doesn`t spread quite as well as older versions, and I`ve had better luck laying down thin/easy-to-remove layers with a PC and Sonus SFX-3 4" finishing pad.

Tort

percynjpn
06-28-2006, 09:23 AM
percynjpn,

If you have a PC, you might consider giving machine application a try. I also think Z2Pro doesn`t spread quite as well as older versions, and I`ve had better luck laying down thin/easy-to-remove layers with a PC and Sonus SFX-3 4" finishing pad.

Tort

I do have a DA machine (with two unused LC black pads); these days I rarely use it. Thanks for the advice - I may have to give that a try!

Todd

wannafbody
06-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Z2pro looks very good on goldish mettallics

jmsc
06-28-2006, 10:55 AM
1. I also found Z-2P a little harder to apply than say its counterpart Z-5P. But both came off easy. Both were used with Z-FX.

2. What sized car did you do this to? 2/3 oz may be too much. I used 1/3 then 1/4 then 1/5 as I layered on a 06 Civic.

3. I used a mf appl using pea sized drops (yes, pea sized not dime or nickel sized) using spritz`s of distilled water and/or Z-6. Very easy on. Very easy off. With cotton or mf the drop spot stays moist throughout the procedure which helps in the thin application. I used different mf towels (Meg Ultimate, Meg Supreme, Magic Towel, Waynestowel HP & UP) to remove the Zaino. All worked very well for me. Some day I will actually try my Charisma 100% USA cotton towels to remove Zaino.

buzzb
06-28-2006, 11:17 AM
Post some pics if you can percynjpn!

I`ve found an initial Z6 wipe down and using a microfiber applicator helps me keep the layers thin, thin, thin. A Z6 spritz on the applicator (just a light mist- do not saturate) can help also. Once you start playing around with Zaino you`ll find what works the best for you. Hope this helps!

SilverLexus
06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Todd,

My favorite applicator for Z-2 is the PakShak ultrafine app. Really allows it to spread thin in my opinion. I also prefer hand over PC applications. Maybe a preference thing..

gben
06-28-2006, 12:07 PM
I recently purchased some z5 pro, z2 pro and used them both with zfx and had no trouble at all applying or removing. ( used both the terry cloth zaino applicator and a store bought mf applicator) Made my yellow vette look better than anything I`ve put on it so far. :wow: Not to say I`m going to stop trying new products on it. :cooleek:

SpoiledMan
06-28-2006, 12:07 PM
I`ve tried many applicators and none of them beat the "German" applicator from CMA and a few others.

docker
06-28-2006, 12:36 PM
I just applied Z5Pro and Z2Pro this past weekend with ZFX and found...2 easier to apply than 5, easier to apply with a yellow foam pad, and easier with the pad faintly moistened with Z6.

I don`t think I used more than 2/3 oz of either one for 3 coats, including the last coat of Z2Pro that I purposely applied too thick. Even so, let the last application sit and dry an extra 45 or 60 minutes and it came off very easily.

Glowin97x
06-28-2006, 01:32 PM
is it possible to apply the z2Pro without the use of ZFX if you wait longer for it to cure, or is it absolutely necessary for the 1st coat as the site says.