PDA

View Full Version : Removing Automatic Carwash Scratches with a PorterCable!

LeadingEdgeDetail
06-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Just thought I would share my experiences for the day...

Car: Dark Blue Volkswagen Jetta, washed with a very dirty/gritty wash brush... Scratches were as bad or worse than an automatic carwash`d car!

Claybarred, I polished it with Meguiars Heavy-Cut Cleaner, On a Burgundy Meguiars Cutting pad:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002VAZA2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

On my porter cable, setting 6.

Worked the polish until it was purely dust, then spritzed the pad with some Final Inspection and worked for a little longer. I used a lot of pressure, went through a total of 4 pads (2 pads cleaning in between uses), and about 2 hours.

After that, I went over the car with some Meguiars SwirlRemover on a Meguiars Polishing Pad:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002UQAXY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

After that, the car looked like it was painted a few days ago.... I couldn`t believe how much I managed to get out!

Just a heads-up, this is a great combination to get your paint looking nearly perfect! :hifive:

RAG
06-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Yeah, it works...I tried this combo a couple years ago. Special note though...the Heavy Cut with the Burgandy bad will chew the paint up...you`ll have better luck going to a medium polish/compound (like DACP or IP) first and then going to #9, as it takes forever to remove the Heavy Cut marring with #9 alone (especially on a dark colored car).

Ben Kenobi
06-27-2006, 08:15 AM
Some pics of the Jetta would`ve have been nice so we could see your work.

LeadingEdgeDetail
06-27-2006, 07:42 PM
Some pics of the Jetta would`ve have been nice so we could see your work.

I`ve forgotten my Camera the last 2 details in a row :nixweiss :sosad :(

I find that the Burgundy pad and an agressive polish only hazes very little, but I agree, following up with DACP and then Meguiars SWR on polishing pads, is the best course of action :waxing:

LeadingEdgeDetail
06-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Yeah, it works...I tried this combo a couple years ago. Special note though...the Heavy Cut with the Burgandy bad will chew the paint up...you`ll have better luck going to a medium polish/compound (like DACP or IP) first and then going to #9, as it takes forever to remove the Heavy Cut marring with #9 alone (especially on a dark colored car).

I don`t know what you`re talking about "chewing the paint up", I used the burgundy pad today with Meguiars Medium-Cut Cleaner on an `06 Black Magnum, and it took all the swirls out beautifully, and the finish was near perfect. I followed up with Meguiars Quick Detailer Polish/Wax, and the car looked better than new!

Proof:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/DasCoupe/aIMG_0836.jpg

Meguiars Burgundy pads are wonderful, they don`t marr the paint at all and they have incredible cutting abilities.

Medium and Heavy-Cut marring is removed almost instantly with SwirlRemover on a polishing pad, or even a combination polish/wax product like Meguiars Quick Detailer. The finish is flawless after :woot:

Scottwax
06-28-2006, 04:59 PM
The Meguiars burgandy pads will mar softer paints but they do cut better than any other foam cutting pad I have used. I wish Meguiars made them for the Cyclo.

mblgjr
06-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Anyone feel like the Meg`s Burgandy cuts better than an LC orange?

Thanks.

LeadingEdgeDetail
06-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Anyone feel like the Meg`s Burgandy cuts better than an LC orange?

Thanks.

Much :)

However, LC pads are wonderful for cleaning up the paint after the Burgundy.

the other pc
06-28-2006, 10:48 PM
... I wish Meguiars made them for the Cyclo.I’ll bet it’s feasible to take an 8†pad and cut a couple of 4†plugs out of it somehow.

PC.