PDA

View Full Version : Drying with a leaf blower?

Pages : [1] 2

couper
03-17-2005, 09:20 AM
How many of you actually use a leaf blower to dry your cars? I`m looking to
save some time, reduce chances of introducing swirls and micromarring and of
course giving the neighbors a good laugh! Right now it takes longer to dry my ride than it does to wash it. Just thought thought I`d ask.

05SilverTRD
03-17-2005, 09:23 AM
My dad use to have an electric leaf blower that we only used to dry the cars. Worked great and got the water out of those hard to reach places. I never saw any adverse affects with it. I now have a gas leaf blower and will not use it on the car. I am afraid of it spitting some gas-oil mix on the car. Just be carefule not to hit the car with the leaf blower when you are using it. Also, don`t let the leaf blower get dirty inside, otherwise you will be shooting that dirt at your ca at a very high rate of speed.

Fatboy2
03-17-2005, 09:36 AM
The neighbors really take second looks when I have the motorcycle up on a lift drying it with the leaf blower...

Poorboy
03-17-2005, 09:51 AM
I would be very careful using one and not be too close..most of them blow at speeds of 150mph+ which can literally blow the paint right off the finish...if you want a safer method, get an air compressor with a blowing tool ...it`s cleaner, safer and can also pump up your tires:)

mgm2003
03-17-2005, 09:51 AM
I do it all of the time. Just make sure the area around your car is wet/damp to avoid kicking up any dust/dirt and start from the roof and work your way down. I flood the panels, blow off most of the excess and use OCW or Spray and Gloss mist to wipe down the excess.

Bill D
03-17-2005, 10:02 AM
GreyS60 is wise: don`t use a gas powered one, electric only, never getting very close to the finish.

jiffy
03-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Just be careful not to hit the car with the leaf blower when you are using it.

Couldn`t you make some sort of soft trim "ring" that you would glue around the output of the leaf blower? That would help protect the car if you did bump it.

truzoom
03-17-2005, 02:04 PM
I use the exhaust port on my shop vac :)

Beware of using a gas powered leaf blower to dry, because some of them can blow an oily residue.

doublel
03-17-2005, 04:24 PM
I would be very careful using one and not be too close..most of them blow at speeds of 150mph+ which can literally blow the paint right off the finish...if you want a safer method, get an air compressor with a blowing tool ...it`s cleaner, safer and can also pump up your tires:)

Then how does Jeff Gordon keep the paint on his Dupont Chevy Monte Carlo going 200 MPH? :crazy

It must be Dupont Teflon wax. :lmfao

stainbuster
03-17-2005, 04:26 PM
truzoom,

check your PM.

Regards,

Mike

JaredPointer
03-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Then how does Jeff Gordon keep the paint on his Dupont Chevy Monte Carlo going 200 MPH? :crazy

It must be Dupont Teflon wax. :lmfao
Hahahahahahaha! :lol

MS22
03-17-2005, 04:52 PM
If anyone is looking for alternatives to a leaf blower I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago about a motorcycle dryer from the local harley store. The tool is just larger than a hair dryer (pretty small), extremely quiet, electric powered, only about 2-3lbs., and comes with a soft neoprene and rubber tip so if you do happen to hit the paint it wont cause any scratches. Blows air at 112.5mph and the best thing is the price, somewhere between $40-45.

dpeezy415
03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
If anyone is looking for alternatives to a leaf blower I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago about a motorcycle dryer from the local harley store. The tool is just larger than a hair dryer (pretty small), extremely quiet, electric powered, only about 2-3lbs., and comes with a soft neoprene and rubber tip so if you do happen to hit the paint it wont cause any scratches. Blows air at 112.5mph and the best thing is the price, somewhere between $40-45.

I might be interested. You got links or a name for that product?

Woob
03-17-2005, 05:07 PM
I also just use the exhaust out of my SHop Vac. Make sure the areas around the car are wet to avoid the sand and whatever from blowing up.

liquidtiger720
03-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I just bought a shop vac. advertisises 250mph blower! woot. I`ll see how that does.