PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Compare Fit vs. Yaris...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

jmsc
06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
My winter car expired in April and I am looking for a brand new 2nd car to replace it. An econobox would serve me best. Small, economical, auto or 5-speed, 15K or less, does not need to be AWD.

Has anyone test driven and compared a Fit or Yaris? Is one way better than the other or they about the same?

harvey
06-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Look at a Hundi Accent. Gets better all the time and has a great warrenty. You may well get a lot more for your money. It will likely not have a great trade in value but if you keep it till it dies no matter.

jmsc
06-26-2006, 05:08 PM
will look at and price out an Accent.

DSG04
06-26-2006, 05:12 PM
I would second the Hyundai Accent recommendation. I was recently in the market for a compact car and drove most of the choices out there (including the Fit, Yaris, Accent, Scion Xa, Rio, ...). I didn`t like the Yaris much even though I thought I would before driving it. It seemed cheap and ther was a fair amount of road/pavement noise. It also drove like a economy car--slow to accelerate and had very little power. The Fit was O.K. but I didn`t like the open boxiness inside and also the lack of power. Around town driving would probably "fit" it fine though (sorry, couldn`t resist).

I ended up buying a Mazda3, which is 2-3 thousand more than your price point. For me, I felt the car drove so much better that to me it was worth the price difference.

I would suggest test driving each car and see which meets your expectations. Each one has its own unique selling points. If you are at all interested in a hatchback, your choices are limited. The 2007 Accent may be a good choice if you can live w/ 2 doors instead of 4.

jmsc
06-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the writeup.

The reason for my post is that no local dealers have a Yaris nor a Fit in stock to even look at let alone drive. ALL are sold even before they hit the dealerships.

Were these cars auto or 5-sp manuals?

jimmybuffit
06-26-2006, 05:18 PM
I`ve detailed alot of cars.

I can`t imagine buying a new car, ever.

Hundai (I can`t spell it, either) has such a phenomenonal warranty, what`s wrong with a 2 year old (pick your low mileage model)?

Depreciation, please consider that aspect.

Jim

imported_Amused
06-26-2006, 05:24 PM
I don`t think you could go wrong with either. They both have great lineages in Japan and are very comparable in EPA mileage. They share a similar suspension setup, mac strut front/torsion beam rear and have nearly the same wheelbase(Yaris hatch...sedan is noticeably longer so the ride should be slightly better than Fit). I think it will boil down to your taste in design. I prefer the Fit, it`s a tad bigger when comparing the Yaris hatch and I`ve owned 3 Hondas in the past, so I`m very comfortable with their products. I also have friends that swear by Toyota, so like I said before, either would be a good choice. I`ve only been in the Fit, and it`s a decent ride.

I wish I had the funds to but a new econobox for a DD :sosad

jmsc
06-26-2006, 05:59 PM
to buy a NEW car.

1. 15K for a new car is not much (for me)

2. most local dealers are adding 1-yr onto the 3-yr factory warantee (4 years w/o repairs and in some cases free oil changes)

3. my last car had front body damage that was fixed and re-painted. The repair was not perfect but pretty good. I meticulously prepped the whole car with Menzerna polishes but left off a glaze and lsp prior to trade-in. The paint was immaculate. I ended up getting above book on a trade (02 Civic LX). The appraiser told me that my trade-in was the best used Honda that he had seen. He did not see the body repair. Basically, I do not want any used car that had prior body/paint repairs.

4. Depreciation. To minimize depreciation on a new car nowadays is to buy a high mpg car, keep the miles a little below average and detail by autopian standards prior to trade or sale.

Appreciate all the comments.

bermi23
06-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Look at a Hundi Accent. Gets better all the time and has a great warrenty. You may well get a lot more for your money. It will likely not have a great trade in value but if you keep it till it dies no matter.

You are right about value. I had a 2001 accent I went to trade it in when I got my Tundra , and trade value was only 3000.00 It was in excellent condition. Maintain from the day i got it. I owe 7500.00. Only get it if you plan to keep it till it dies.

BoxsterCharlie
06-26-2006, 06:21 PM
I`m surprised no one has promoted the Fit yet on this thread. That is a very cool car. I haven`t driven one yet but I love the form factor and it easily has won all the magazine comparos.

Kanchou
06-26-2006, 06:41 PM
i wouldn`t consider the Yaris on principal. I hate that global uni-dash thing..

jmsc
06-26-2006, 06:52 PM
My new 2002 LX cost me ~ 15.5 out the door in 2001. I got 11.0 on a trade in 2005 because it was a Honda, lower mileage, very good mpg and the paint/interior was immaculate (again Autopian standards). About 4.5K deprc over 4 years. Wow, the Accent really gets cloberred in value over the years.

Most mags have the Fit rated #1 due to, I think, quality and the image.

imported_KevinA
06-27-2006, 09:54 AM
I haven`t driven any of the cars listed, but the Fit that is winning the comparisons is the sport version. I`m not sure what that adds to the bottom line.

I have always been a Honda fan, but have sworn-off Civics - the last two generations were just too noisy after a couple thousand miles. I do love my `02 Odyssey. I also love my `04 Scion xB - perfect for around town stuff and it`s the same drivetrain as the Yaris. It has enough poke for every day stuff.

Corey Bit Spank
06-28-2006, 06:43 PM
The Fit really is fun to drive.

ben54
06-28-2006, 07:03 PM
If resale value is a concern, you may want to avoid the Hyundai, which is the sister comany to Kia. On the Edumunds.com site, three Kias, and one Hyundai made the 10 worst resale value list. That may not be saying much as a Nissan also made the list and ranked even worse.

Although I haven`t driven any of the cars mentioned, my vote would be the Fit. I drive a 15 year old Civic, which is an econobox, but everything still works, including the AC.