PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional PC Use

Pages : [1] 2

Bobby G
06-26-2006, 11:32 AM
What are the odd ways you`ve used your PC?

This past Friday I had my PC out testing a couple new pad designs. One of the pads is a 4-incher that is promising to have many applications. I used my new pad to buff:

1. Metal (the Cayenne`s exhaust system... yes, I mean the muffler, not the tips... is polished very bright!)

2. Glass (a proper 4" pad makes quick work of water spots with a good glass polish)

3. Black plastic trim (my Cayenne has a good amount of black plastic trim on the lower areas. The 4" pad applied gel protectant to an amazing final finish, and my hands didn`t get messy!)

4. Tires... WOW, this was amazing! I put a little tire gel on a soft 4" foam pad and my tires have never looked better. This was cool!

db

bluzman
06-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I never would have thought to use it on tires!!

Bobby G
06-26-2006, 11:58 AM
It massaged the gel in deep and the final finish was exactly as I like it.

Pats300zx
06-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Awesome !!!! I just found some uses for the cheap pad that came with my PC ... :bigups

drck1000
06-26-2006, 12:20 PM
2. Glass (a proper 4" pad makes quick work of water spots with a good glass polish)

Do you recommend any particular glass polish for use with the PC? I`ve got Autoglym Glass Polish, but so far have just been applying with a cotton terry towel. I actually have intended to use th AG Glass Polish with a 4" polishing pad, but just haven`t gotten around to it.

4. Tires... WOW, this was amazing! I put a little tire gel on a soft 4" foam pad and my tires have never looked better. This was cool!

Any problems with or tips on avoiding sling? Hell, I get the gel that I use on my hands even when applying with a foam applicator by hand! I mostly use 303 Protectant on my car, but I also have Meguiar`s Endurance Gel (matte) that I used with Eagle One tire swipes. Never even thought of using the PC.

TortoiseAWD
06-26-2006, 12:26 PM
It massaged the gel in deep and the final finish was exactly as I like it.I almost did this with an old beater 4" finishing pad (no longer suited for paint) and my small cordless Nikota buffer (4" head). Glad to hear it worked; it`s on my list of things to try.

Tort

Bobby G
06-26-2006, 12:27 PM
This picture shows the tailgate guard on my Cayenne that I polished with a 4" pad and the PC using a little Flitz polish. You can see the difference compared to the interior piece which I did not polish. I spent about 15 minutes to get this result. The metal is brushed stainless.

Bobby G
06-26-2006, 12:32 PM
This pic shows what I did to the underside (muffler). It was very brown and stained when I started, but 30 minutes on my back with the PC, 4" pad and Flitz made it shine! One more 30 minutes session and my muffler will look like chrome.

Bobby G
06-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Do you recommend any particular glass polish for use with the PC? I`ve got Autoglym Glass Polish, but so far have just been applying with a cotton terry towel. I actually have intended to use th AG Glass Polish with a 4" polishing pad, but just haven`t gotten around to it.

Any problems with or tips on avoiding sling? Hell, I get the gel that I use on my hands even when applying with a foam applicator by hand! I mostly use 303 Protectant on my car, but I also have Meguiar`s Endurance Gel (matte) that I used with Eagle One tire swipes. Never even thought of using the PC.

This is a totally loaded question, and I`d be spamming if I answered it. :)

The sling-free 4" pad is what I am working on now. :waxing: :think2

Bill D
06-26-2006, 12:39 PM
When I polished my mufflers, I used a 4" wool pad and Flitz and Mother`s at the time. I finished off with a white 4" polishing pad and one of the English Custom polishes. I ought to try the same thing just with a rotary in effort to get that chrome look. :cool:

drck1000
06-26-2006, 12:42 PM
This is a totally loaded question, and I`d be spamming if I answered it. :)

Oops. Didn`t mean to ask a loaded question. Sorry. I guess even you have to rules to follow on your site huh?

The sling-free 4" pad is what I am working on now. :waxing: :think2

What about cutting out a hole about 1/4"-3/8" deep by about an inch in diameter into the middle of the 4" pad to serve as a reservoir (assuming that the pad is about 1 1/2" thick) that would apply the gel only where the reservoir contacts the tire and the outer portion of the pad would work it in?

ncsu602
06-26-2006, 01:16 PM
A little off-topic from where this is headed (definitely gonna try the tire trick)....

Not exactly unconventional, but it makes a great sander with some 5" hook and loop sandpaper. I`m in the process of finishing up a shelf to go in our tv niche. I`ve used it so long as a polisher, I found myself looking around the garage for something to sand with when the lightbulb lit up over my head......

I guess that`s why it says sander/polisher on the box :chuckle:

Bobby G
06-26-2006, 01:19 PM
D`uh! I need to polish my wood furniture!

In fact, I`m going to go slam a coat of SBP on a couple pieces now.

wannafbody
06-26-2006, 02:51 PM
A PC with a 4 inch pad and some light polish might make for a great back massage :har:

Accumulator
06-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Nice to see some interest in 4" pads on the PC, they really do behave quite differently from the larger ones.