PDA

View Full Version : Turtle wax ice vs Meg. gold class vs NXT?

wolfe
06-26-2006, 07:18 AM
I`m trying to pick a wax, and these are the three which sound good to me, for this kind of price.

I like the fact that the turtle wax is clear and shouldn`t leave white marks on the black trim pieces, but I suspect the meguiar`s is a better quality wax.

I`m also wondering if the NXT is lots better than the gold class, or if it`s largely hype to do with the fast & the furious movie it`s affiliated with.

The car is metallic silver, and has black trim around the windows, badges and so on, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions on which wax is best would be great, I was considering the paste for the meguiar`s.

Thanks!

awahl63
06-26-2006, 07:45 AM
Ice has very poor durability and NXT is slightly better than Gold Class. I`d go with NXT

Alfisti
06-26-2006, 07:47 AM
Yep, NXT. Very good product. :up

Wasatch
06-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Would also go with the NXT.

wolfe
06-26-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys, sounds like NXT is the one to go for too, I guess I`ll pick up the NXT wash as well.

Is the wax residue easy enough to remove from badges and trim?

Also, is the paste the best one to go for vs the liquid?

wannafbody
06-26-2006, 08:23 AM
go to carquest and get Duragloss 105/601 and AW. That`s as good as it gets for OTC.

foxtrapper
06-27-2006, 07:25 AM
Is the wax residue easy enough to remove from badges and trim?

You won`t run into this with NXT. The acrylic products don`t create the dried wax issues that carnuba type waxes like Gold Class do.

Alfisti
06-27-2006, 09:36 AM
I`m not sure if I understand you correctly, but NXT is not an acrylic product. NXT can stain some textured trim.

foxtrapper
06-27-2006, 10:41 AM
I`m not sure if I understand you correctly, but NXT is not an acrylic product. NXT can stain some textured trim.

From Meguiar`s web page: "After years of research into advanced polymer chemistry, Meguiar’s has created a wax powered by Engineered Synthetic Polymer (ESP) technology".

NXT can stain, akin to the same way vinyl dressing can stain. I`ve personally never had any problems with NXT, or any other acrylic, like I will with a carnuba wax.

wannafbody
06-27-2006, 11:22 AM
I don`t believe NXT is an acrylic- it contains PDMS

foxtrapper
06-27-2006, 11:50 AM
I don`t believe NXT is an acrylic- it contains PDMS

I`ll leave it to you two to call up Maguiar`s and tell them they`re lying in their description of NXT.

There is no polydimethylsiloxane listed on the MSDS for NXT tech wax. Polysiloxane, yes, but not polydimethylsiloxane, which is a different chemical. http://www.wd-wpp.com/msds2/00000422.pdf

miked2
06-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I don`t think that Nxt is acrylic-based . . . . there are many types of polymers other than acrylics. ACrylics are more like Klasse SG.

Alfisti
06-28-2006, 06:22 AM
I`ll leave it to you two to call up Maguiar`s and tell them they`re lying in their description of NXT.

I`m sorry, but, I don`t recall seeing Acrylic mentioned anywhere on their product description. We`re not saying Megs is lying...we`re saying you are mistaken. No offence intended. ;)

There is no polydimethylsiloxane listed on the MSDS for NXT tech wax. Polysiloxane, yes, but not polydimethylsiloxane, which is a different chemical. http://www.wd-wpp.com/msds2/00000422.pdf

From: http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=175&query=Polysiloxane&prodcat=all

Chemical Information

Chemical Name: Polydimethylsiloxanes (Silicon oil)

CAS Registry Number: 063148-62-9

Synonyms: Polysiloxane; Dimethylpolysiloxane (2); Silicone oil; Siloxanes and Silicones, dimethyl-; Polydimethylsiloxanes; Siloxanes and Silicones, di-Me; Dimethicone