PDA

View Full Version : Soft Water

Pb2theMax
06-25-2006, 11:04 PM
I got this water filter/softening kit. http://www.autogeek.net/deluxe-filter-system.html

I like this kit, but I`m wondering about the water softener. I think I have it hooked up correctly. The water goes into the filter first and then into the softener, and then out to my hose and foam gun.

But I was wondering about the water softener. If I let the vehicle air dry there seems to be some white water spots left behind. They wipe off easily, so I think they are from the salt in the water softener. Is this right? Should I bypass the water softener and just use the filter?

What is the real advantage to soft water?

Pb2theMax
07-02-2006, 04:58 PM
bump :sadpace:

ChicagoVTX
07-02-2006, 05:59 PM
I dont know either but my car gets a bath with soft de-ionized water. I have noticed the soap suds much more as opposed to when I did not have a filter.

Accumulator
07-03-2006, 09:15 AM
I too have wondered about the salt-in-the-water issue. My plumbing contractor convinced me that it`s not an issue and I haven`t had rust/etc. issues from it. But I`m using a household softener (with potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride) and that might behave differently from your setup.

Soft water gives me better cleaning and lighter mineral deposits. I still dry my vehicles, but the spotting I get from any water I miss is a lot less serious than it was with hard water. I`d think you`re still ahead with the softener.