PDA

View Full Version : Help me protect my wheels

Magnum626
06-25-2006, 12:10 PM
So I just purchased a used set of volk ce28 in the diamond black finish. :bounce

The previous owner had used a meguair`s wax on them but I want something that`ll last longer and hopefully have a lot more protection.

I`m thinking of using AIO and PB wheel sealant.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to apply these to my wheels?

Is there any other products that can give me great protection and great shine as well that I should be considering?

TIA

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/Magnum626/IMG_2878-1.jpg

imported_Amused
06-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Great wheels.

You might want to apply SG on top of AIO instead of PB`s wheel sealant. That combo should provide better durability. I think an MF applicator will be your best bet.

Z K
06-25-2006, 09:48 PM
Nice wheels... you want to be careful with Volks, I had a set before and the paint on those things aren`t really durable at all. Your plan sounds pretty good and should do a good job.

Don`t be surprised if you get rock chips and scratches from your wheels though, there`s no way to prevent those.

Magnum626
06-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Ok thanks for the suggestions....I`ll do the AIO/SG combo first. I know about the paint chipping, there`s already paint chipping around the lugs from the previous owner. Is the paint as soft as the paint on the lugs?

Now just to wait for my order to come in and I`ll be prepping these babies for the rest of the summer. :)

Also what if I put the PB after the AIO then follow up with SG?

Or would the PB be unnecessary since I`m using SG anyway?

Accumulator
06-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Just use the SG. Multiple layers (I shoot for 4-6) will last a long, long time. Just wash with carwash shampoo (instead of wheel cleaner) and use something soft and free-rinsing like a BHB. A quick pass with something like FK425 after each wash won`t hurt either ;) I can go months with this method before I have to redo them.

Be sure to do the back sides too! I`d be more concerned with getting numerous layers on the backs than on the fronts.

Just use swabs/etc. as needed to get into the tight spots; those don`t look like they`ll be too hard to do. Just scrunching up a foam applicator to apply and a MF to remove oughta do most of it.

Oh, and I`d use a plastic-coated socket for the wheel lugs so you don`t risk chipping the paint around the holes.

Magnum626
06-27-2006, 11:31 PM
What`s a BHB?

I`m just waiting for my products to arrive and I`ll get working.

Now where can I get those plastic-coated sockets? I had no idea they even existed.

Thanks

Accumulator
06-28-2006, 07:06 AM
BHB= Boar`s Hair Brush. They might feel stiff when dry, but once they`re wet they soften up. They`re *very* free-rinsing and the bristles get into tight spots. Look to Griot`s, I like the short handled one (pn 92546) and the round one in the kit (pn 15520 IIRC, that`s from memory) for getting around the wheel lugs.

They also sell the coated sockets (pn 10208) but I`m certain you can find them cheaper somewhere else if you don`t mind searching. There was a thread here about them a long time ago, might be able to find it if you search on "socket" or something like that.

E-Jag
06-28-2006, 01:39 PM
After cleaning my wheels I apply 2 coats of Collinite 845. Lasts longer than anything I`ve found yet - don`t really know how long because I rewax every couple of months. I would buy 845 for the wheels even if I didn`t use it on the car, which I do. It`s inexpensive - give it a try if you have an Advance store near you.

E-Jag

Accumulator
06-29-2006, 07:52 AM
E-Jag- Don`t take this as an :argue or anything, but I compared the 845 with multiple coats of KSG and the KSG lasted infinitely longer. Both were on a `00 A8, both cleaned with shampoo mix.

I was sorta disappointed by how quickly the 845 needed redone :nixweiss

But that`s multiple coats vs. one (unfair, huh?) and a mailorder product vs. and OTC one (not insignificant). And that 845 sure is easy to use (note that I consider KSG pretty easy too, so I mean that as a real compliment to the 845).

Not knocking the IW, I use it on wheels where I can`t do multiple coats so again, hope this didn`t come across wrong. I got mine at Advance too :D

E-Jag
06-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Accumulator - No offense taken. You may never have to worry about that. Have never tried KSG but would like to. I keep hearing aboout it. As far as 845 is concerned, I may have had better luck because of the multiple layers and because my wheels, for some reason, don`t seem to accumulate much brake dust. I seldom use a cleaner, a slightly strong solution of car wash does it. A couple of times a year I clay them, go over them with ScratchX and reapply 845 every couple of months. I do appreciate the response, though, and expect to try KSG one of these days.

E-Jag

MBurnickas
06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
AIO/SG with MF applicator after claying them.

Accumulator
06-30-2006, 09:09 AM
Accumulator - No offense taken... I may have had better luck [with 845] because of the multiple layers ..

OK, cool Re "no offense" :hifive:

I oughta try multiple applications of the 845 sometime, I did that on my winter wheels with 476S and it held up very well.

Magnum626
01-06-2007, 04:40 PM
UPDATE:

I had applied aio, sgx3, poorboys wheel sealant x1 back in late June. No more applications of protectant since then. :nana:

I haven`t washed my car/wheels since 11/26 and I`ve gathered quite a bit of brake dust that was `caked` on since then. :clap:

Today, 1/6 I decided I was overdue for a wash and with the spring like weather with temps around 66 I couldn`t say no. :hifive:

BEFORE:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/Magnum626/IMG_3723.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/Magnum626/IMG_3721.jpg

AFTER:

These are after just wiping with a dry MF towel. :woohoo:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/Magnum626/IMG_3724.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/Magnum626/IMG_3720.jpg

This is after just using meg`s california gold car wash soap. :clap:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/Magnum626/IMG_3727.jpg

So the 6 days spent prepping the wheels was well well worth it! :getdown