PDA

View Full Version : Self-cleaning waxes

37buckeye
06-25-2006, 11:05 AM
My jar of Paste Glaz is beginning to run out, so I`ve started to investigate alternatives. The wax is being applied to non-garaged daily drivers. I`m looking for something that is easy to use and self-cleans (when it rains, the beading helps clean off the car). I`ve experimented with Souveran, Klasse SG, and EX...but none of them have the self-cleaning effect I am looking for.

A search turned up the following options of self-cleaning waxes:

Meguiars #16 (no longer available)

Collinite

P21S/S100

Are there any others that I`ve missed?

Thanks!

imported_Larry A
06-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Usually a polymer will rinse clean before a carnuba.

imported_steveo3002
06-25-2006, 11:48 AM
collinte 476 has a self cleaning effect when driven in rain,and it lasts good too

if collinte doesnt meet your needs maybe your expecting too much ?

chml17l
06-25-2006, 11:55 AM
The Collinite 476S and P21S waxes would get the self-cleaning vote from me as well.

A poster over on Detailers Club recently commented that the Prima Epic sealant seemed to have a similar self-cleaning effect after a rainshower. I have a beta sample of this, but have not had a chance to use it or the latest version for myself.

miked2
06-25-2006, 10:28 PM
Good old Meg`s cleaner/wax was supposed to be reformulated to "bead like crazy" according to Mike P at MOL . . . . Might be worth a try, since it`s only six bucks or so at almost any store.

velobard
06-26-2006, 08:13 AM
It sounds like you`re looking for an LSP with a sheeting effect, not a beading effect. Mequiars products, among others, do this. If you`re looking for something over-the-counter you could try Mequiars NXT. It actually sheets water pretty well. IIRC, Mother`s FX did as well. I haven`t tried Colinite yet, but if I were in your shoes I`d give that a try if you can get hold of it.

CARGUY
06-26-2006, 08:32 AM
I just started to apply 845 (hood) and 476s (trunk lid) and of course it rained 3 times already before I could finish the car. Both of the Collinites have the self-cleaning effect that you`re seeking - and a really fantastic beading effect too...never seen anything like it before. And from what I`ve been reading on the forums, they have the durability of Kryptonite! I`ll have to wait and see for myself if it`s true.

37buckeye
06-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the input. I`m leaning towards either the Collinite 476s or 845. The durability of the Collinite products is a plus since both cars sit outside 24/7. I`ll add one of the products to my next detailing supplies order and will post back with an update. Thanks again!

Accumulator
06-26-2006, 09:20 AM
I just started to apply 845 (hood) and 476s (trunk lid)...

I`ll be really interested to hear how the durability of the two compare. I`m assuming these are the current, post-VOC formulas.

miked2- Even the folks at Meg`s are kinda conservative about durability claims for their cleaner-wax. Now topping it with collinite, *that* might be a good combo.

ema- I`m pretty confident you`ll like the Collinite. Very few people have reported being disappointed with it. Those that were complained that the (current version of) 845 wasn`t as durable as they`d expected. IMO their stuff won`t look quite as good as paste glaze (which I haven`t used since forever) but the durability will more than make up for it.

I find their stuff to do the self-cleaning thing quite well.

velobard- The way the beads behave on the Collinite makes it somewhat similar to sheeting products. Sounds contradictory but works pretty well. The vehicles I`ve used Collinite on are often parked outside 24/7 in an area where pollen/etc. is a big deal; no really awful problems with spotting, nothing like I`d expected.

CARGUY
06-26-2006, 10:03 AM
I`m not sure if the 476s that I received is the new or old formula but I`ve read that the post-VOC 845 IW has the word `paste` added on the label which the one I received does. Actually it says "Heavy Duty Paste" above the words Insulator Wax. From what I`ve heard about the gel-like characteristics when you get it and then it turning into a liquid after vigorously shaking with the pre-VOC version, the new formula that I received seems to behave exactly the same.

mblgjr
06-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Collinite seems to be the next closest to #16 in terms of durability.

16 followed with Natty`s blue is a very nice combination, when it rains, my truck practically washes itself. Lasts a real long time as well.

miked2
06-26-2006, 09:59 PM
FWIW, Klasse SG sheets off water pretty good . . . .

Accumulator
06-27-2006, 08:15 AM
waxnshine- yeah, that`s the new version of 845.

FWIW, Klasse SG sheets off water pretty good . . . .

My experience with KSG seems a little unusual...mine always beads like crazy for months on end. By the time it starts sheeting it`s lost some slickness and I start thinking about refreshing it :nixweiss It does the self-cleaning thing to some extent, but not as well as the Collinite and #16 do, at least not for me.