PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

JTRX
06-24-2006, 08:01 PM
New member here. I have a red (actually it`s more like a red/maroon) tundra. Paint is in great shape but hadn`t been waxed in several months. Decided to try collinite IW (found a bottle of the old formulation). I applied collinte insulator wax a week ago. Yesterday I applied a second coat of insulator wax then immediately followed that with meguairs hi tech yellow wax (#26 I think). Thought #26 might help deepen the color a bit. The collinite looked great...very reflective for my needs (it`s a daily driver and I`m just looking for something I can buy locally and only have to apply like 3 times a year)....that`s what lead me to the insulator wax. Anyway, after applying the meguairs, it seemed to slightly reduce the reflection and almost yellow it a bit. The color is a little deeper with the meguairs but I don`t like the slight bit of yellowing. I say it yellowed it...but maybe it just`s a slight dullness that I`m seeing.

So, is this slight dulling/yellowing normal for the meguairs or is it because I applied the meguairs right after (within an hour) the collinite? I did notice when I applied the meguairs it did not apply very well...seemed like it was picking up the collinite.

I`m assuming this slight yellowing isn`t permanent...I know the collinite is long lasting but I`m assuming everything I applied will wear off in a few months.

I don`t want to strip the wax I applied and start over. So, is there an easy (1 step product I can by at a local store) fix....like could I just apply another coat of collinite over the meguairs and get that yellowing out but not eliminate all my work? If so, how long should I wait until applying another coat of collinite?

If that won`t work, then could I just wait a few months till most of the wax has worn off by itself and start over with the collinite only?

In the end I`m just after decent shine and protection in 1 step that lasts several months....so I`ll just use collinite in the future. The yellowing isn`t bad...but if I can fix it in 1 easy step I will...otherwise I`ll wait till it all wears off and start over...assuming that will work and I don`t have to remove the collinite myself.

Thanks for any advice...I`ve got to head out of town for a few days and won`t have internet access...but I`ll check later in the week for any advice....

JTRX
06-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Forgot to mention...if the slight yellowing was from using the meguairs too soon after the IW, maybe I shouldn`t give up on that combo and try again in the future but wait in between the two. That`s assuming it`s "safe" to top IW with #26. FYI...I didn`t do any prepping other than wash car...paint is smooth and there are some swirls but they don`t bother me.

imported_truzoom
06-24-2006, 08:19 PM
I have not found #26 to yellow at all after application. In terms of clarity, it should leave you with a very rich and reflective finish.

If you really want to cut down the "outer layer", you could just do a bucket wash and go double strength on the shampoo, and use less water so you`ve got a very rich sudsy foam.

JTRX
06-24-2006, 08:23 PM
You are right...it is very reflective...it could be more of a "richness" that I`m seeing rather then yellowing. The paint is very reflective now but just not quite as bright....so it`s slightly dull but very reflective...if that all makes sense. If I do the wash as you suggested, will that remove the collinit as well or only #26?

imported_truzoom
06-24-2006, 08:24 PM
I honestly don`t know, but it`ll remove some of the layer of wax that is currently on your paint. You`ll have to rely on your 2 peepers to determine if there is a change in look after washing.