PDA

View Full Version : Washing cars on-site quickly... Advice please!

LeadingEdgeDetail
06-23-2006, 08:44 AM
I`ve picked up my first steady account of weekly car wash for 2 or 3 of their blingmobiles (Hummer on 26`s, Magnum on 26`s, Avalanche on 24`s), and I am just needing some advice.

First, bug guts. What can I get to spray on the front of the car before I start washing to loosen up the bug guts? When I wash the car, I scrub the front harder than I feel I should ever scrub, and they still don`t come off! I`m looking for something I can put in a spray bottle and squirt on...

Also, is there a good product to spray onto the wheels, that will not damage bare metal, aluminum, chrome, yet still eat into brake dust? I have a hard time getting all of the brake dust off, I use a combination of carwash soap, engine degreaser (can`t use on aluminum), and a MF towel with my finger... What`s a good wheel cleaner?

And any tips for going faster are appreciated! I know I gotta pickup a new california water blade, since mine is over 2 years old... Still works perfectly though!

I wonder where is cheapest for a 50` reel of pressurewasher hose :cooleek:

Thanks for any advice!

AMDin93103
06-23-2006, 09:56 AM
If you are maintaining these vehicles on a biweekly basis, the bugs should come off fairly easily with a presoaking of soapy water solution applied via spray bottle. If some are difficult spot with a mildly aggressive clay bar. If these bugs are from months of neglect the vehicles are without a doubt in need of some exterior reconditioning. Proceed as you see fit.

Wheel Brightener (D14001) is a superb product when used properly. DO NOT use on unfinished alloys of any type!!! The only way to effectively clean caked/embedded brake dust from aluminum is with low PH cleaner (Soapy water) and a mild metal polish like Mother`s Mag & Aluminum polish. I do not recommend Engine Degreaser on aluminum, you`re looking for trouble. Make take some time, necessary.

Stop using your Waterblade. Search the "Detailing" forum for proper washing and drying procedures. Such practices are critical in insuring surface damage is avoided.

Harbor Freight has decent prices on reels and hoses. Order online if there isn`t a storefront close.

As far as the time it takes to clean three vehicles of that size and age, considering that they are all on large chrome. . . and . . . it`s your first steady account, my advice to you:

Don`t be concerned about how long it`s going to take. Slow down and work on those three like they are the only three you`ll see all week. Keep up the vehicles as best as you can and most importantly make sure the client is happy with your work. Be open to suggestion and criticism, it can only help you understand your clients needs.

Last, please read through the past few years of the Detailing (http://autopia.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=58) section to dial-in some procedures to kep your work better than the rest.

HTH

Where is the too much coffee smiley!!!! :shocked

LeadingEdgeDetail
06-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the advice :)

I spend the time it takes to make them look perfect, cleaning all the grooves in the wheels that have obviously never been cleaned... The customer was blown away at how nice the wheels looked when I was done, so I`m going back there 2 days next week to fully detail his car and their truck.

I`m competent enough to clean them very well, but I definitly don`t have the fastest or most efficient methods...

I`m just here for some pointers some people have found that helps a few things go quicker :)

I think I will stick to MF drying towels isntead of the water blade, since I did ONCE put a scratch in a customer`s car that I had to buff out... And I don`t want that ever happening again!

I`ll look into that Wheel Brightener...

I also told the customer that if the car had a good coat of Sealant or Wax, the bugs wouldn`t stick so well, and he agreed that it has never been waxed since new!

I think this is a good group of guys to treat well :woot2:

autobahn
06-23-2006, 11:29 AM
If you`re waxing, stoner`s tarminator will destroy bugs. However, I believe it strips wax, so you`d need to reapply that. There are milder anti-bug formulas, but I use a foamgun, so anything not removable with a foamgun soak is gonna need something strong like tarminator.

LeadingEdgeDetail
06-23-2006, 11:42 AM
I suppose everything will come off easily once I get a good coat of wax on there :)

velobard
06-23-2006, 12:29 PM
If you`re waxing, stoner`s tarminator will destroy bugs.

I gotta get me some of that.

s2skimon
06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
i like Optimum no rinse wash, poorboys bug wash and poorboys wheel cleaner and a good clay bar

Brian_Brice
06-23-2006, 05:09 PM
i love hi temps bug remover, simply spray on let sit for five minutes wash as usual, very little clay will be needed afterwards no matter how long the bugs have been there, only reason i know is i primarily wash cars that have never been washed it seems. definitely dont scrub, elbow grease is not a very good product to remove such things. most people use ww mf for drying as do i. i use to use a blade but thanks to this site my regular washes come out looking much better. good luck to ya and i look foward to you making a vid on your wet sanding skills, many people here would love if you could post one.

imported_animes2k
06-23-2006, 08:09 PM
On the advice of Irene at TOL, I picked up a bottle of their "Snap Seal" Express Wax, which is apparently a bug & tar remover WITH WAX... Not sure how well that`ll work out and I`d still wax over any spots, but it was inexpensive, so I`m giving it a try.

BTW, Irene @ TOL was GREAT. I`ve just had all kinds of great customer service experiences this week. :D

AMDin93103
06-23-2006, 08:14 PM
I`ve just had all kinds of great customer service experiences this week. :D

Are you shopping too much?!

SN, I have heard great things about the famous Irene. . . for years IIRC. Too far east for me! I am way too impatient!

imported_animes2k
06-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Are you shopping too much?!

SN, I have heard great things about the famous Irene. . . for years IIRC. Too far east for me! I am way too impatient!

:grinno:

I think I have been shopping too much.

- Stuff from TOL/Irene - good advice, nice chat (She adores Anthony O, loves the Cyclo, doesn`t care for the PC) and free gallon replacement of Wheel Wash (dark blue particles settled in mine, clogging sprayer, etc).

- New wheels and tires from Luke @ TireRack (for the Subaru) - good recommendations, GREAT prices.

- installation/performance issues with the recommended speakers for the Subaru from Crutchfield. After pulling stuff apart and playing with different configurations over the phone, they`re taking back the rear speakers and upgrading me to more expensive ones for free. :woot:

So yeah, lots of good customer service this week :)