PDA

View Full Version : OTC product recommendations

Pages : [1] 2

hoanger
06-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey guys.. i have a new black 06 civic and this thing is hard to keep clean..

now i was wondering if you guys could give me some OTC recommendations for products like towels and waxes and all that stuff.

The reason i would like OTC is because I dont have access to ordering online, nor do i have the money to spend for delivery and everything -_-

my car is only 5 weeks old and lately you can start to see some swirl marks in the sun and it begins to show in the garage with low lighting and that bothers me

I have microtex microfibre towels to buff products away

meguiars sponge applicators (doesn`t sponge feel like it would swirl very easily?)

Microfibre wash mit (with the little wormy looking things)

Synthetic chamois (i find this is another step that adds to the swirl)

meguiars #26

Rain X wax

Mothers Carnuaba wax

Meguiars deep drystal car wash

Meguiars NXT interior spray

as you can see, i have a variety... and i really don`t know whats good.

one more thing... would a pressure washer be way more efficient instead of actually touching the car using the washmit and soap? I may invest in one.

I need help plEASE!

hoanger
06-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Oops wrong section! can the mods move this to product please?

Accumulator
06-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Instead of a pressure washer I`d get a foamgun, the single biggest improvement to my detailing in 30 years. Check out one of the numerous threads on how to modify/optimize/accessorize it with quick disconnects and a shutoff valve.

The Meguiar`s sponge applicators oughta be OK once they have product on them (product acts as a lubricant).

I`d get stuff from Meguiar`s. Sorta mild but safe and fairly effective: Scratch-X is good for bad marring. Deep Crystal Step #1 is good for general paint cleaning (after you wash and clay) and it`ll do a little (very little, it`s mild) swirl removing; it`ll really just round them off a bit and make them less noticeable. Deep Crystal Step #2 will probably hide what`s left a bit more and will give a nice gloss. Then apply one of your waxes (I`d probably pick the #26).

See if you can find some *VERY* soft MF towels made for drying, preferably waffle-weave style.

But get the foamgun and learn how to use it. IMO 90% of marring happens during the wash. No way I`ll wash without one.

TSDuke
06-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Go to your local Harley-Davidson dealership & pick up some S100 products.

E-Jag
06-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Both of the above suggestions are good advice. Definitely get some clay and a pre-wax paint cleaner. After using each - in that order - #26 is very good as is S100. Neither will last longer than about 2 months but each looks good. S100 is more reflective/wetter probably. If you have an Advance store near you, it will probably carry Collinite 845IW in the marine section (usually a little unmarked area in the corner of the store), which looks great and lasts for about 5 months. All of this stuff is available locally (#26 is carried by most NAPA`s). It doesn`t have to cost a fortune to keep your car looking great. When you can, invest in a PC - for about 150-175 bucks, it will be the best detailing money you ever spent. Have at it!

E-Jag

wannafbody
06-23-2006, 02:47 PM
Use Mothers Reflections synthetic wax

OCD Nick
06-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Color X+NXT Wax+S100 FTW

Pick up some MF towels from Target. Nice stuff.

hoanger
06-23-2006, 03:41 PM
wow thanks guys

im glad theres still OTC stuff that i can use... If i purchase the porter cable, does it come with all he pads i need already or do i have to purchase that also?

and i tried some scratch x just a few minutes ago on the panel and it seemed to be pretty good, i used the halogen light to check and it did take out quite a few swirls.

Harley Davidson dealership carries detailing supplies? I should go find one..

anyways thanks! more would be great

Stickman81
06-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Once you get a PC you will need a good backing plate and seperate pads.

Best of luck. :2thumbs:

Aquapop
06-24-2006, 07:56 PM
I love the Viking Green QD MF towel from K-Mart

Meguiars NXT wash and glass cleaner

Eagle 1 Nano Protectant for vinyl and leather

you might also pickup a Mother`s clay bar kit

Alfisti
06-26-2006, 04:00 AM
The best way to deal with swirls is not to get them in the first place.

Ditch the MF wash-mitt (can trap contaminants and marr the paint - MF doesn`t release as well as sheep-skin), and the synthetic chamois. Get a couple WW MF drying towels instead.

As far as wax goes, out of your selection I`ve used #26 and Mothers. #26 will create a deeper black and Mothers won`t be as deep but will give you a wetter gloss. Similar durability, so pick the look you want. Both help fill and hide swirls.

SVTContour
06-26-2006, 05:28 AM
I like Meguiars Quik Detailer for after washes to boost the wax and give some shine.

Also try Stoner`s Invisible glass, usually available at Wally World and Target.

hoanger
06-26-2006, 08:04 AM
oh wow thanks guys

I just placed an order for my first PC on ebay, so it should be here soon

and for polishes, what do you guys recommend? the only OTC product that i`ve found to say "polish" was NuFinish... and for a noob like me... i cant spot different ones

are the ones meguiars make polishes? like the fine cut, and diamond cut... and it has a little bar on the side of the bottle that indicates the cut... should i get one of those for a noob?

imported_Chris223
06-26-2006, 08:28 AM
I like Meguiars Quik Detailer for after washes to boost the wax and give some shine.

Also try Stoner`s Invisible glass, usually available at Wally World and Target.

Meguiars Quik Detailer in no ways boosts wax and I can`t stand it, IMO, it`s a horrible QD. It gives (my car anyway) no shine, no slickness, and it doesn`t wipe off as nicely as others I use, such as Mothers Showtime.

Accumulator
06-26-2006, 09:26 AM
and for polishes, what do you guys recommend? the only OTC product that i`ve found to say "polish" was NuFinish... and for a noob like me... i cant spot different ones

are the ones meguiars make polishes? like the fine cut, and diamond cut... and it has a little bar on the side of the bottle that indicates the cut... should i get one of those for a noob?

Skip the Nu-Finish, it`s just a synthetic wax. People use "polish" in all sorts of, uhm, inventive ways ;)

Gotta be careful with the Meg`s stuff, they *really* use "polish" in inventive ways! Many of their products are *NOT* safe to use with the PC. In your case, I`d recommend their #80 Speed Glaze (ignore the name). NO Diamond Cut with the PC!!

I`d order a can of 1zs Paint Polish from PAKSHACK (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) or get some 3M PI-III MG 05937 while you can still find it HERE (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/yhst-69137106204828/3m.html) .