PDA

View Full Version : Filtration Threshold

Pages : [1] 2

2.5RS
06-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Somewhat dubious title I know, but I`ve been curious about water filtration systems and was wondering about the particle size that most will filter out. Anyone out there own a CRspotless, or any filter (that seems to work well) know what it will filter down to? 1 micron, 5 microns, 15 microns etc..? Or do most simply tell you that it filters out a percentage, eg "Reduces 99% of water-borne contaminants". I`m looking at maybe putting together my own filter system but I don`t know what size particle I ought to be worried about.

TIA

- Andrew

imported_mburnickas
06-22-2006, 03:14 PM
I would get the largest you can. With a 1 micron your psi will be less then pouring a beer *after a few gallons*!

AL-53
06-22-2006, 04:11 PM
A CRspotless is a deionization filter using mixed bed resins containing cation and anion resins...they remove hard minerals such as calcium..magnesium..phosphates...I do not know if they have pre filters on it for water particles such as sand and smaller silica`s...this system is for hard mineral ladden water...it must be recharged after resins become exhausted..gives a spotless rinse..so they claim..but as resins become exhausted it will begin to water spot till recharged...using solar salt...for whole house water softners...

If you are looking for a filter to take out rust..sand ..silica`s or any water borne debris you would get a house filter and fit it to be inline with your hose..the filter media comes in different microns..1 being the smaller and shortest lifespan...then 5 and then 10 and 15 may be tops..they also come in different media types...one type is a spun woven acrylic yarn type which comes in 5,10 and maybe 15 microns...the other type is a porus type polyester block..which has 1 micron and smaller...these are no good for every day use..will clog faster than the other type...

Al

2.5RS
06-22-2006, 04:15 PM
When you say largest I assume it means largest physical size filter unit, not largest micron size correct?

I suppose I`m looking for that magical "point of diminishing returns". Sort of a rough idea of what size balances water flow and water spot negation.

-Andrew

[Edit] D`oh! Didn`t catch AL-53`s response. So somewhere in the 5-15 range would work best it sounds like?

AL-53
06-22-2006, 04:24 PM
what do you want the filter system to do....

remove.. minerals from hard water

remove water debris...sand..rust ..small water borne stuff...

triaxmaster
06-22-2006, 04:25 PM
What we use is the EQ-300 Rhino designed for use on approx 400,000 gallons and filters down to 5-microns. will flow 8 gallons per min. we have used this filter for 3 years and have no problems with water spots or contaminents at all ( and our city water is very hard...)and has alot of calcium in it. think we paid about $700.00 for it and replacement filters are $18.00 for four and last about 3 months each . it has been worth the cost.

2.5RS
06-22-2006, 04:27 PM
what do you want the filter system to do....

remove.. minerals from hard water

remove water debris...sand..rust ..small water borne stuff...

Mostly sand rust etc... Please forgive the (what are probably) very basic questions, I just don`t know much about this sort of thing.

- Andrew

imported_mburnickas
06-22-2006, 04:48 PM
without a prefilter a DI cartridge will not last that long. Yup as AL noted the resin will need to be re-charged. You can buy new nuclear resin (color changing or non) for about $12 to fill an emprty cartridge.

A prefilter will not last that long; only remove/reduces sand rust etc; $2 to $3 each. A DI will last about that same amount of time;

I also find it VERY hard to belive any filter other the RO will last longer then 6 month; 3,000 MAX gallons. I have had a coral reef tank for years and the prefilter and carbon look bad after 4 to 6 months. RO lasts about 2 years max; DI last about 6 months MAX before the TDS get very high.

AL-53
06-22-2006, 04:51 PM
no problem...you want to go to Lowes or Home depot...get a house filter....and a 10 micron filter...probally about 50.oo$..you can try wally world also...

like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/WATER-FILTER-Suits-Caravan-Boat-Tank-Water_W0QQitemZ4471198061QQihZ001QQcategoryZ20651Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this one is in Austrailia..but just using picture to show what I am talking about the type you want...

But best to get it from lowes or home Depot...filter replacement cartridges are readily available from them

yes mcburnicas..I to have reef tanks...I make 250 gallons of water monthly for my tanks...and I have both filters..I have a RO/Di system from kent..and also a straight di system with seperate resin tanks...1 for cation 1 for anion resins...I recharge with acids...

I like the straight DI system better ..no waste water ..like from the flush on the RO system...with the RO system you use 9 gallons of water to male 1 gallon of product water...cause of membrane flush...even with an peramate pump it is not that good..

Al

imported_mburnickas
06-22-2006, 04:54 PM
You can buy a empty cartridge with proper FMP ends online for about $10 for colored and $13 for clear. Filters are about $2 to $3 and $18 for DI.

2.5RS
06-22-2006, 04:58 PM
AL-53, Thanks I`ll go take a look at Home Depot tomorrow after work.

mburnickas, forgive me but, DI= De-Ionization? RO and TDS?

imported_mburnickas
06-22-2006, 05:00 PM
no big deal, that is what we are for!

Ro= Reverse Osmosis

Di = Deionization

TDS: Total dissolved solids

2.5RS
06-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Beautiful, Thanks!

imported_mburnickas
06-22-2006, 05:06 PM
This is where I get 90% of my stuff:

http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/water_purifiers/102936.html

Filters can be: (to name a few)

airwaterice.com

purelyh2o.com

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_systems.htm

Michaelelts
06-22-2006, 05:41 PM
what kind of water pressure will 8 gpm give you? Has anybody tried this one.

http://www.autogeek.net/deluxe-filter-system.html

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/twofence.jpg