PDA

View Full Version : vertical door chip protecter?

smak
06-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Some of the aftermarket vertical door kits are hit and miss these days and i was wondering if any of you know of a product that may cover my needs here.

it seems vertical doors dont always line the door up just right when closing and sometimes chip off sections of paint in the doorjam if you use enough pressure and get the right (wrong) angle.

is there any small sheet of clear or translucent plastic that can be layed down in the vital areas that can act primarily as a chip guard? i know there are spray on chip protectants but why risk the overspray if an adhesive film will do the trick.

should be flexible to adhere to contours well but slick enough to act as a guide to deflect any friction away from paint finish and work against the inertia of a misaligned closing door.

autoprincess
06-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Yep, there is a product called ultra shield invisable braws (sp). It`s flexible and comes with a warranty if it is professionally installed. This stuff acts like a regular braw but it is clear and holds up to a lot of abuse.

smak
06-22-2006, 09:57 AM
sweet, ultrashield invisible bra search found a few manufacturers all using a 3m film.

looks to be worth a shot, thnx.

autoprincess
06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah, it`s a 3M product. You`re welcome. Once again the warranty only works if professionally installed.

rmedtr6
06-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Check out Griot`s they sell a few different versions of this material for different uses around the car...headlights, door edges, etc...

qballjr13
06-22-2006, 05:23 PM
I have used a product from www.Lamin-x.com I actually used the smoked product to tint out my sidemarkers on a Maxima I used to own. They are relatively cheap and the product is great and thick. I think it might be a great idea for you application. I also just bought my wife an 06 Accord and Honda uses Venture Shield. Those a re couple manufacturers you can check out.

smak
06-22-2006, 05:36 PM
yeah the griots version is 12 mils thick too which might be too much.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=77633

and laminex is advertised as soft and breathable to allow fresh paint to continue curing after application.

i dont want there to be any coushin so if the door hits the jamb at an angle it should slide across (rickochet) and into proper geometry instead of possibly bumping into and sticking or bounching back when coming into contact with it.

i am thinking a thinner/harder film that i can keep lubed with like upp 4 star or something would be ideal.

anyone try all products and have feedback on individual characteristics?

qballjr13
06-22-2006, 05:45 PM
The Lamin-x product is 7mil IIRC. it was easy to work with with help from the wifes hairdrier, but after it was applyed it was hard and protected really well.

smak
06-22-2006, 08:51 PM
yeah the laminex comes in various thicknesses.. 8 mil being thinnest.

will definatly check into it.

thnx much