PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait (WG Sealant)

Pages : [1] 2

zimmerDN
06-22-2006, 08:30 AM
How long should I wait before removing the Wolfgang Sealant (15 mins? bottle doesn`t say)? I am going to use Optimum Polish first then WF Sealant.

autoprincess
06-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Haven`t used Wolfgang. But normally a rule of thumb is when any wax/sealant hazes over that`s when you remove. Unless you are using a Molecular Paint Sealant (liquid form) remove while it is still wet (liquid looking).

TigerMike
06-22-2006, 08:46 AM
When I used WG, by the time I covered the entire car (midsize G35), it was ready to be removed. WG should buff off very easily, leaving a very good shine, with good slickness, but lacks real durability. So, I`d give it at least 10-15 minutes, or more if you applied to heavily. Personally, I don`t think there`s a whole lot of crosslinking going on with WG, so it doesn`t need a lot of dry time.

autoprincess
06-22-2006, 08:50 AM
If waxing outside in the sun it will be easier for you if you do one panel at a time. The sun can bake wax on the paint making it not so easy to remove.

groebuck
06-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Wolfies is pretty oily in my experience so it dries rather fast - 15 -20 mins I would say.

s2skimon
06-22-2006, 10:15 AM
excellent combo

I normally give it 20min minimum..

regardless, it`ll be a breeze to remove

zimmerDN
06-22-2006, 10:54 AM
I changed my mind. I am going with AIO --> WF Sealant route.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

BTW, it took me an hour to clay my Mazda3 (compact car). Doesn`t that seem a little too long?

finerdetails
06-22-2006, 11:22 AM
I`ve used WL alot lately, and just bought the largest size available, apply to whole car, leave for a further 30 mins, it just sets so well, and then it just wipes off. I demo this on every detail, and everytime every owner is breathless at how easy it comes off! If you put it on right, it will come off with one pass of the MF cloth! Its that good! ;-)

zimmerDN
06-22-2006, 01:14 PM
I finished putting the first coat of WG Sealant on my car.

I changed my mind once again and used WG Polisher and WG Sealant instead.

The experience was very pleasant because it was so easy to apply and remove. I wonder if multiple coats of the sealant will prolong the protection. How long should I wait before adding a second coat?

autoprincess
06-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Most detailers wait 24 hours, to allow the wax to harden (cure).

zimmerDN
06-22-2006, 06:33 PM
So most detailers ask their clients to leave their cars overnight for each coat of wax?

autoprincess
06-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Most customers don`t ask for two coats. If in some rareity that they did then once the first coat was removed then the second is applied. But, if a detailer truely wanted the finish for the purpose they are striving for when applying two coats then yes 24 hours would be the choice. Would a customer come back to do it? Probably, not.

docker
06-22-2006, 06:42 PM
WG suggests a 12 hour cure time, as opposed to 24 hours which is typical of most other sealants. Since the cure time is short, I typically get in at least 2 layers, preferably 3.

Reguarding dry time, I typically let it sit an hour or so before buffing. Definitely dry by then, even if you applied it a little too thick.

zimmerDN
06-23-2006, 07:02 AM
I already have 2 coats on in the last 24 hours. I don`t know if this added coat will do anything to make it last longer but since it`s so easy to use I might as well. lol

I am wondering if I should top everything off with S100.

docker
06-23-2006, 07:33 AM
I already have 2 coats on in the last 24 hours. I don`t know if this added coat will do anything to make it last longer but since it`s so easy to use I might as well. lol

I am wondering if I should top everything off with S100.

I kinda think of the 2nd coat as just assurance that I didn`t miss any spots, then look at the 3rd (& 4th?) as enhanceing the durability and looks.

With the advent of spray-QD sealants (WG, BF, HGAS) I have gone away from topping WG with wax since it leaves a carnauba-like finish by itself. I just wash and QD with one of these spray sealants, or, when I have the additional time I`ll apply a layer of sealant by hand.