PDA

View Full Version : How can I make sanded plastic shine again?

Pages : [1] 2 3

lov2xlr8
06-21-2006, 04:48 PM
I wet sanded the plastics with 400 grit then wet sanded the with 1500 grit. The surface is perfectly smooth but the shine is obviously all gone.

What can I buy to bring back the "wet look" shine?

I tried some Meguiars PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish and it sucked.. lol

It basicly just cleaned the surface a little more and did not add any shine what so ever.

I need a WET shine.

Thanks guys this forum rocks! :2thumbs:

autoprincess
06-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Why did you use 400 grit? Were you trying to repaint the car?

I have some photos in my gallery of a scion hood that is all messed up, does it look something like that?

I know you used 400 grit so it is probably worse. 400 grit is NOT for buffing purposes it is way to coarse, 320 and 400 is for painting. The sad thing is after you used 400 and 1500 your clear coat might be real thin. You are probably border line from burning the paint, if you haven`t done it already.

By the way what plastics did you wetsand? Was it a plastic surface or was it paint that was on plastic? Have pictures?

jdhutchin
06-21-2006, 05:07 PM
I`m assuming you sanded the plastic trim on the car. No amount of polishing or sanding will restore the shine to the plastic- you`ve sanded off the layer that gave it its shine. Your best bet is some type of trim dye- protectant and restorer aren`t going to cut it. I think Top of the Linehas some trim dye ( http://www.topoftheline.com/trim-molding-dye.html ) that you might want to check out. I`ve never sanded trim, but I have had good luck with trim dye bringing back severly faded trim.

lov2xlr8
06-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Its not for a car.. its for my 2006 Yamaha YFZ450 witch is a racing quad. The reason I sanded it down with 400grit was to get the deep scratches out.

Here is a pic of my rad scoop.

http://www.teeniesamples.com/plastic.jpg

imported_Grouse
06-21-2006, 05:13 PM
looks like you prepped that for paint.

buy some bull dog primer, pick a dupicolor and get to it.

MrSelfDestruct
06-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Maybe a coat of clearcoat??

lov2xlr8
06-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Ok so there is nothing I can buy to get smooth plastic to shine again?

I wet sanded the plastics with 400 grit then I sprayed on very light dusting coats of Krylon clearcoat spary paint. Then I sprayed 3 full coats and wet sanded the finish with 1500 grit.

That`s where I run into problems. When I attempted to wetsand the clearcoat that has an "orange peel" texture, I make the high spots dull. How do I stop this from happening?

Is there something I am doing wrong?

lov2xlr8
06-21-2006, 05:19 PM
I was hoping there was something you guys would suggest so that I can skip the clearcoat step.

autoprincess
06-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Yep you are ready for paint.

lov2xlr8
06-21-2006, 05:21 PM
The reason I sanded it down was because I heard about this product called "Plastic Renew" http://www.partsforatvs.com/default.asp?p=537&c=356&cn=Z400

All you gotta do is sand them down and apply the liquid with a paper towel a few times.

imported_Grouse
06-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Ok so there is nothing I can buy to get smooth plastic to shine again?

I wet sanded the plastics with 400 grit then I sprayed on very light dusting coats of Krylon clearcoat spary paint. Then I sprayed 3 full coats and wet sanded the finish with 1500 grit.

That`s where I run into problems. When I attempted to wetsand the clearcoat that has an "orange peel" texture, I make the high spots dull. How do I stop this from happening?

well you have to polish it then.

some ssr 2.5, then 1...

MrSelfDestruct
06-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Then I sprayed 3 full coats and wet sanded the finish with 1500 grit.

If you think you are done at 1500 grit, you are gonna need to use a heavy rubbing compound (like 3M Extra Cut) in order to get any kind of shine out of that. Otherwise continue to 2000grit but you`re still gonna need to polish....

autoprincess
06-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Orange peel is normally caused from improper tacking/prepping of the panel to be painted. You really have to know what to do to prep for paint. Proper prepping will help you tremendously. A small panel like that should not cost much to have a body shop spray it.

lov2xlr8
06-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Hmm.. I dont quite understand.. sorry guys I have never done this before.

I tried a coat of zaino Z2 and it did absolutely nothing to the finish.

lov2xlr8
06-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Orange peel is normally caused from improper tacking/prepping of the panel to be painted. You really have to know what to do to prep for paint. Proper prepping will help you tremendously. A small panel like that should not cost much to have a body shop spray it.

Its not just this panel.. Its my whole quad!

http://www.teeniesamples.com/lakers.jpg