PDA

View Full Version : Removing swirls by hand?

CraiginTX
06-21-2006, 10:20 AM
So I recently acquired a 1996 Miata. It`s dust-magnet dark blue, and the paint is in decent shape, but it is somewhat swirled. I don`t have photos, but it`s much like the before shots of the Ferrari in this thread (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73347).

Any hope of getting rid of these by hand? I currently have an assortment of OTC stuff - S100 Cleanser, Clay Magic Clay, Mothers Reflections wax, Duragloss AW, etc... Is the S100 enough if I`m patient? Any product recommendations? Anything OTC?

Thanks,

Craig

Accumulator
06-21-2006, 10:25 AM
Any hope of getting rid of these [swirls] by hand? I currently have an assortment of OTC stuff - S100 Cleanser, Clay Magic Clay, Mothers Reflections wax, Duragloss AW, etc... Is the S100 enough if I`m patient? Any product recommendations? Anything OTC?

You can at least make them a lot better if you`re willing to work at it. [insert lecture on buying a PC/Cyclo here ;) ]

The common OTC solution is Meguiar`s Scratch-X and that might be viable on something that size.

I myself would order some 1z Paint Polish (probably from

PAKSHAK (http://www.pakshak.com/index.html) ) and use that instead. Very user-friendly stuff, especially by hand.

No way will the S100 cleanser do it.

imported_steveo3002
06-21-2006, 10:50 AM
it will be alot of work...do a search on the scratch x, chances are you will need at least 3 applications and lots of hard work....its not a wipe on /wipe off type of thing

maybe follow that with a good glaze..ive just got some decent results withmothers sealer glaze

CraiginTX
06-21-2006, 12:08 PM
:think: As much time as I spend reading around on various forums, I should know better than to post without a thorough search.... Thanks for the replies so far, though!

I`ll give the Scratch-X a try. If my arm wears out before I get rid of the swirls, what would you guys recommend as a good combination that will hide them. Is there something that will work under one of the acrylics and keep them hidden for a while?

I know, I know - just buy a PC and get rid of them... :waxing:

Craig

Accumulator
06-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I dunno about glazes working under sealants, but they work fine under paste waxes. Besides the Mother`s glaze, the Meg`s "pure polishes" (#3/#5/#7/#81/Deep Crystal #2) come to mind, along with the (inferior, IMO) 3M IHG and the RMG which I haven`t tried yet (but which gets rave reviews).

Note that the 1Z polishes hide a bit too.