PDA

View Full Version : How to tackle gel coats on boats

imported_Grouse
06-20-2006, 09:38 PM
My dad has a boat, he`s fastidious aobut whiping it down just as he gets out of the water with a simple green mixture.

But after time that all builds up and makes kind of a dull hull.

So I am wondering what can i do to give him a lil edge.

I understand gel-coats are different than clear coats but if you were me how would you aproach this.

I`m doing this for his up and coming birthday.

94BlkStang
06-20-2006, 11:25 PM
My dad has a boat, he`s fastidious aobut whiping it down just as he gets out of the water with a simple green mixture.

I understand gel-coats are different than clear coats but if you were me how would you aproach this.

I`ve had boats for a long time and have always approached them the same as I would a car.

:buffing:

bmwbear
06-21-2006, 06:33 AM
I agree with 94BlkStang, I use the same routine on my Cobalt as I do my BMW. I do a good wash, clay, hit any really bad spots with the Sonus products, then AIO and SG. Tell your Dad not to use simple green anymore for the wipe down because it will remove any produce you have applied. I swim around my boat right before it comes out of the water and wash it with a boat/RV soap that is bio-degradable.

GlossyTundra
06-21-2006, 08:05 AM
I swim around my boat right before it comes out of the water and wash it with a boat/RV soap that is bio-degradable.

so you are at the boat ramp swimming around with a brush and soap? :chuckle:

I use Optimum polish and then AIO and then a marine wax called aquatech that I swear may be the most durable thing I have ever used.

Diesel1
06-21-2006, 10:46 AM

It`s not the simple green building up, it`s simple green removing any waxes or sealants. Is the boat in sal````er or fresh? If it`s in salt, you def want very durable products!

imported_Grouse
06-21-2006, 10:50 AM
well he never rinses. so he pulls the boat out, sprays a side down with SG and wipes it off. after a while you can see the haze of the sg.

Ps it`s fresh. my goal is to get it clean and managable for him.

bmwbear
06-21-2006, 04:11 PM
so you are at the boat ramp swimming around with a brush and soap? :chuckle:

I use Optimum polish and then AIO and then a marine wax called aquatech that I swear may be the most durable thing I have ever used.

LOL.. well actually the boat is still a little ways away from the boat ramp/lift. I just put on a life preserver and swim around the boat with a brush and the soap.

imported_Grouse
06-21-2006, 04:18 PM
YOUR THAT GUY, the one who holds up the whole que?

just kidding.