PDA

View Full Version : Got off my butt and did my hood.

autobahn
06-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Did my own hood today, it had plenty of spiderwebs and scratches from rocks and other assorted road deritus.

I also had 2 horizontal deep scratches in the hood from using a california blade to dry it with 2 bits of dirt on the blade..

My weapons of choice were SSR2.5 first with an orange pad, then moved up to a yellow pad to remove some of the deeper scratches. Afterwards I cleaned up the hazing with 1z PP on a white pad.

I only went over the areas once with the yellow after the orange, so I`ll probably go over it again tomorrow with the yellow pad to remove a little more of the scratches.

Unfortunately, it seems that the horizontal scratches in the hood are not going to come out. Probably go down to the primer or at least the basecoat. However, they are much less noticable in indirect light now.

I am very happy with the SSR2.5 and the PP. I didn`t have a chance to try out 1z EPC with the orange/yellow pads because it`s backordered! :( The packing slip had a personal handwritten note that it should ship within the week so here`s to hoping..

I am still left with some fine scratches on the hood, which might need to be attacked a little more aggressively, we`ll see how the EPC works when it arrives. I don`t want to go too harsh and remove too much clear. However, I seem to have been successful in cleaning up most of the swirls, holograms, and spiderwebs on the hood. Another defect that I don`t think I`m going to be able to get is what I can only describe as micropitting... Looks like road debris has kinda pockmarked the clearcoat.... I never really saw it before until I got it all polished as the holograms and spiderwebs were kinda hiding it.. I guess I just have to balance accepting that my car is a daily driver with a lot of freeway miles and I`m never gonna get the hood looking perfect :)

Sometimes, the rocks and road debris just defeat us.

imported_Grouse
06-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Did my own hood today, it had plenty of spiderwebs and scratches from rocks and other assorted road deritus.

I also had 2 horizontal deep scratches in the hood from using a california blade to dry it with 2 bits of dirt on the blade..

My weapons of choice were SSR2.5 first with an orange pad, then moved up to a yellow pad to remove some of the deeper scratches. Afterwards I cleaned up the hazing with 1z PP on a white pad.

I only went over the areas once with the yellow after the orange, so I`ll probably go over it again tomorrow with the yellow pad to remove a little more of the scratches.

Unfortunately, it seems that the horizontal scratches in the hood are not going to come out. Probably go down to the primer or at least the basecoat. However, they are much less noticable in indirect light now.

I am very happy with the SSR2.5 and the PP. I didn`t have a chance to try out 1z EPC with the orange/yellow pads because it`s backordered! :( The packing slip had a personal handwritten note that it should ship within the week so here`s to hoping..

I am still left with some fine scratches on the hood, which might need to be attacked a little more aggressively, we`ll see how the EPC works when it arrives. I don`t want to go too harsh and remove too much clear. However, I seem to have been successful in cleaning up most of the swirls, holograms, and spiderwebs on the hood. Another defect that I don`t think I`m going to be able to get is what I can only describe as micropitting... Looks like road debris has kinda pockmarked the clearcoat.... I never really saw it before until I got it all polished as the holograms and spiderwebs were kinda hiding it.. I guess I just have to balance accepting that my car is a daily driver with a lot of freeway miles and I`m never gonna get the hood looking perfect :)

Sometimes, the rocks and road debris just defeat us.

:showpics

Pony up bucko.

I know what you mean. I have pits and junk galore. I am going to order that touch up 123 here on the 30th and see how it works next time i get to my car.

one of them is where valet dinged the door against a pillar in a garage, one is where Oregons finest mental degerate regects(also known as gas pump attendants ) tapped the pump handle on the side of my car to get all the gass out. Chipping a quarter sice piece off.

In oregon you can`t pump your own gas. They need jobs for the felons and missfits.

the door chip has me more worried it is on my USP side skirts right at the very edge of it. So while it`s a 1/2 quarter it actually cover 3 distinct angles.

-Lebowski-
06-20-2006, 09:30 PM
Just remember there is a fine line when deciding to takle the little things and just living with it to save your clear. Its only there once!