PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Rust

gav'spurplez
06-19-2006, 08:46 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/1998Z28/HPIM0275.jpg

this is my daily driver,

2002 nissan sentra.

although it is a "beater" per say, it is in good shape and runs like a champ.

so, here is a small spot that the paint just chipped off, about the size of a pea.

i could tell it was starting to bubble, then, the paint was just gone, leaving the nasty brown

surface :angry

so, some paint and wetsanding, and buffing ?

paul79uf
06-19-2006, 11:32 PM
get that rust off...then use touch up paint and polish/wax to protect

Accumulator
06-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Remove as much rust as you can via abrasive/mechanical means. Then treat the area with a rust converter (I generally recommend 3M Rust Avenger). Apply touchup paint over the rust converter and let it dry for a few days. Optional: Sand smooth with Meg`s 3000 grit Unitgrit paper. Polish sanded area with aggressive compound then with milder compound.

gav'spurplez
06-20-2006, 01:13 PM
thanks guys,

dry for a few days ?? meaning leave the car sit, or just don`t do anything more with the surface ??

Cytomax
06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
I have the same prob with my brandnew 6 month old 2005 acura tsx a pea sized chip of paint fell off and now im wondering how to fix it..the more suggestions here the better

Eddie

Krodad
06-20-2006, 02:45 PM
My first post!!!

I`ve been pretty successfull with some very light sanding and dabbing on a little bit of this...

http://www.tinmantech.com/html/must_for_rust_remover_inhibi.php

It seems to work very well, yet is relatively mild for something that takes care of the rust.

Good luck.

Accumulator
06-20-2006, 04:38 PM
..dry for a few days ?? meaning leave the car sit, or just don`t do anything more with the surface ??

Sorry, didn`t mean to be inscrutable :o I meant the latter, don`t do anything else to the surface until the touchup paint has had plenty of time to dry. It won`t *cure* in a few days but it will dry thoroughly, this stuff generally takes longer to dry than paint that`s sprayed on.

gav'spurplez
06-20-2006, 09:19 PM
thanks for the replies :hifive:

Cytomax
06-20-2006, 10:58 PM
If anyone knows of a detailed guide out there that shows the steps to take to fix this i would be thankful..

Thanks in Advance

Eddie