PDA

View Full Version : What product (if any) can touch up this key scratch?

Kev_300
06-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Newbie here... my 6 month old car was keyed yesterday. Not the worst I`ve ever seen, but it`s a nice long one.

My dig. cam is broken, so I took a short video clip and uploaded to Youtube. Is Scratch X something that would work for this? Something else? Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5pKNOXzqGc

-Lebowski-
06-19-2006, 06:38 PM
If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail you will not be able to remove it, that typically means its through the clear coat. You can decrease the presence of it but not fully remove.

-Lebowski-
06-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Yikes Kev I just watched the video, that is not going to come out by hand, you may reduce it a bit but thats not coming out / being visually reduced unless you get a machine prolly a rotary on that.

Sorry to see that. Post where you live and maybe we can hook you up with an Autopian in your area to assist you.

wannafbody
06-19-2006, 08:44 PM
if it`s a deep long scratch www.touchup123.com might be what you`re looking for

Kev_300
06-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Yikes Kev I just watched the video, that is not going to come out by hand, you may reduce it a bit but thats not coming out / being visually reduced unless you get a machine prolly a rotary on that.

Sorry to see that. Post where you live and maybe we can hook you up with an Autopian in your area to assist you.

Thanks for the input. I live in 32714.

BobD
06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
if it`s a deep long scratch www.touchup123.com might be what you`re looking for

I was going to say the same thing. Or Langka.

Kev_300
06-20-2006, 06:37 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Or Langka.

Does Touchup 123 repair paint that`s been keyed? I went to their site and it mentions chips and rust but not long thin (and apparently relatively deep) key marks.

wannafbody
06-20-2006, 08:14 PM
it will work on scratches. I can`t guarantee that it will work perfectly but I don`t know of anything else better other than a repaint.

autobahn
06-20-2006, 09:13 PM
the scoop with touchups on long scratches is that you definitely will always be able to tell it was touched up, but it will be leaps and bounds better than the scratch if done right.

scooterguitar
06-21-2006, 05:27 AM
For smaller scratches and dings that can`t cleanup, I use the paint pens you can get at any Auto store, they color match the car with your code, cost about $5. It isn;t great, but if you don`t plan on painting it, it does help a lot, better than a big white or rusting spot there. For others` cars that I do, that`s what I tlel them, but I tell them to go buy it and do it, I won`t do it myself to others.