PDA

View Full Version : How aggressive of an abrasive?

Haze
06-19-2006, 06:08 PM
I am sure this has been asked before but I am newer to detailing and brand new to this forum BUT... When deciding on a polish for use with a rotary, how do you decide how aggressive to go?

Thanx!

ZaneO
06-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Well, it`s always best to use the least aggressive method possible to correct the finish as needed/wanted. Each vehicle will be unique, but with more experience comes the ability to quickly determine what will work best.

If you`re not sure, use a "test spot" to see what you need.

-Lebowski-
06-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Well logic tells us that we should work from the least aggressive on up but after you have been doing this a few year you get a feel for what will remove / repair what. If you are new to detailing you might want to learn to crawl before walking and running.

I assume you already own a rotary? Ever give thought to a less potentially damaging machine such as the PC random orbital?

If you post what type of car you have and perhaps pictures and what product line you have access to we could provide a better diagnosis for you.

Haze
06-19-2006, 06:52 PM
I am currently only using an orbital. I am wanting to step into rotary so I am trying to figure out how to go about this, since there are LOADS of bottles to be used... Product wise I have been pretty much using all Meg`s.

Would it make sense to use a rotary for the cut polish and the orbital for the rest of the process?? (cleaning, glazing and waxing)

Brian_Brice
06-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I am currently only using an orbital. I am wanting to step into rotary so I am trying to figure out how to go about this, since there are LOADS of bottles to be used... Product wise I have been pretty much using all Meg`s.

Would it make sense to use a rotary for the cut polish and the orbital for the rest of the process?? (cleaning, glazing and waxing)

uh definitely, like i said just a few minutes ago on another thread i dont think using a cut polish is intended for pc as the pc doesnt heat the paint enough for proper removal of scratches, however there are plenty of products to chose from that can remove unwanted blemishes via pc. hope this helps.

Haze
06-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Oh sorry amng I didn`t mean I cut polished with the orbital (I assume that is what a PC is, pardon my ignorance) I meant does it make sense to use a rotary for a cut polish and then use an orbital for the rest?

imported_themightytimmah
06-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Yes, the dividing line for Meg`s products is #83. 83 and 84 work much better by rotary, and I`d use #80 to finish via PC.

Alfisti
06-20-2006, 07:53 AM
It would also depend on what you mean by `cutting` polish. For some #83 cuts while others use the term for compounds.

On another note, what sort of RO are using? It sounds as though its not a PC. If you`re using a non-PC machine, maybe a PC will do what you need. The vast majority on this forum seem to do decent paint correction (cutting) using a PC...as do I! :D