PDA

View Full Version : A good headtorch for cleaning a car in the dark ;^)

Greg2
06-19-2006, 05:51 PM
G`day from Australia,

Just thought I`d share an idea which I`ve had which has helped me wash & clean my car in relative darkness, without ready availability of mains power.

I`ve been using a head torch which is based on a very bright Luxeon LED, and which also has a very VERY useful flip-up diffuser, which creates a wide, even beam. With a standard headtorch, I was finding that the beam was too narrow, and I`d have to ensure that my head was faced in exactly the same direction my eyes were pointing, making it unwieldy. With the diffuser, I find that my eyes can dart around naturally, without having to turn my head. It`s working well for both interior and exterior cleaning.

The product I have is the Petzl Myo XP, and there is a review here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/petzl_myoxp.htm

I do find that sometimes I have to take it off my head, to shine the light from a different angle, e.g to see marks on areas of the car which I can`t access closely (e.g the centre of the windscreen and roof). Also, for serious detailing, it naturally will not replace proper lighting.

FYI, the situation I`m in is that I`m a limo driver, and need to clean my car daily. I prefer to do this at home, in my own garage. The problem is that I have extremely poor lighting, and to get mains power I have to run a very long extension cable. I`m finding that using this good quality headtorch is a good compromise.

Cheers,

Greg.