PDA

View Full Version : Towel Use?

CharlesW
03-15-2005, 03:28 PM
While I use MF towels a lot, I would have to admit I really don`t know much about them. I thought I would post some of the ways I use various towels and ask a few questions. Maybe we can all learn something. I know I can.

What I`m using/doing

1. Drying after washing:
Painted areas - A large waffle weave followed by a smaller WW for any touchup needed.
Drying/Cleaning windows - Actually, I use a cotton terry towel with QEW most of the time. It seems to work good with no lint problems and after I have done the windows it is just damp enough to use on the door edges, bottoms and jambs. The same towel also works to wipe down the inside of the deck lid, underside of the hood and the engine compartment.
Wheels - Either the same cotton terry I used for the windows or a fresh one. I can`t bring myself to use my MF`s on the wheels.

2. Cleaning drying wheel wells - An old cotton terry towel that gets pitched if it gets too dirty. Usually they can be washed, but if I get into some road tar or grease, I don`t even try to wash the towel.

3. Removing wax/polish/sealant - The terry/plush side side of a MF.

4. Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe - The terry/plush side of a MF.

5. QD`s - The terry/plush side of a MF.

Now, how about some opinions on the following.

1. I have read that using the suede or not plush side of a MF is better for cleaning windows.
2. I have read that using the suede or not plush side of a MF is better for removing wax/sealant.
3. I have read that using a waffle weave towel is better for both of the above projects.
4. I have read that using a waffle weave towel is better for use with Poorboy`s S&W.
5. I have read that using a waffle weave towel is better for use with quick detailers.
6. I read too much. :)

Charles

jayincali
03-15-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I was really surprised that the WW towels work as well as they do. Are WW made out of MF though, and it`s ok to use them in place of MF towels? I like the WW feel a lot better than the MF`s

CharlesW
03-15-2005, 11:44 PM
Evidently everyone missed this part of my post. I was kind of hoping for a few of you to comment and/or make suggestions.

Now, how about some opinions on the following.

1. I have read that using the suede or not plush side of a MF is better for cleaning windows.
2. I have read that using the suede or not plush side of a MF is better for removing wax/sealant.
3. I have read that using a waffle weave towel is better for both of the above projects.
4. I have read that using a waffle weave towel is better for use with Poorboy`s S&W.
5. I have read that using a waffle weave towel is better for use with quick detailers.

Charles

General Lee
03-16-2005, 12:12 AM
I can add that with some polishes and waxes *I* find that the NOT so plush side of a MF *is* better to remove the product. It seems to have more bite if you know what I mean.

I also currently use the plush side of a MF with Spray & Wipe w/ no problems.

emetzger
03-16-2005, 12:33 AM
i use the not plush side for windows. i use the plush side od a quality mf for paint. i have not used ww

JaredPointer
03-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Evidently everyone missed this part of my post. I was kind of hoping for a few of you to comment and/or make suggestions.

So do I. :) Haha!!

I looked at my MF`s that I really use and noticed that they really don`t have a "not plush" side. I never realyl have any problems taking anything off with them however.

I do have a glass cleaning MF that I got from PAC and it`s nap is shorter. I do like it better for glass cleaning.

I personally do not like Waffle Weaves. It`s not so much that I don`t like them, it`s that I don`t feel that they personally do a better job than a regualr Big Blue MF that I got from Dwayne.

jiffy
03-16-2005, 03:49 PM
Good post Charles.

I was at the auto store today, and I was looking at their MF towels, and the one`s they had did not have a plush and not plush side. It was all the same.

Walmart had a MF drying towel though, that one had a plush and not plush side. It was huge 6.5` by something (at least thats what I thought the package said)