PDA

View Full Version : Noob waxing quest. - by hand or machine?

Pages : [1] 2

DigiDan
06-19-2006, 10:50 AM
This evening, I embark on an historic journey...into uncharted country.

- Washing with a foam gun (arrived today!)

- Claying the paint

- Applying Klasse Twins via my new PC7336

- Possibly applying some of the famed AquaWax if I can find it after work!

Up to today, I have applied all products by hand....waxes, polishes, everything.

I plan on using the PC to apply the AIO and SG, then buff them off by hand.

My question - For waxing - what are fellow Autotopians doing? Applying a liquid by machine? By hand?

Any recommendations for a good OTC liquid wax? I`m looking for Mothers Synwax tonight...otherwise I have a can of P21s wax waiting to be used.

Thanks!

Accumulator
06-19-2006, 11:20 AM

My question - For waxing - what are fellow Autotopians doing? Applying a liquid by machine? By hand?

I`d apply the KSG by hand, much easier IMO to get a properly thin application.

I do all my waxing by machine, even with paste waxes.

DigiDan
06-19-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks Accumulator - how do you apply a paste wax via machine? I`m sure I could figure it out with trial and error, but I`d rather ask the seasoned experts first.

D3mon
06-19-2006, 11:55 AM
I mostly wax (P21S paste) by hand but have done by PC once or twice. Nice even coat from PC and buffed out really nice, but such a hassle to break out the PC, get the paste onto the pad, avoid the trim (Sonus DAS-sized pad 6inch?) etc..

I`ve yet to try it with a 4 inch pad, which I guess would be much easier to work with.

Accumulator
06-19-2006, 04:19 PM
how do you apply a paste wax via machine?

Unless I`m using 4" pads (which fit inside most cans of wax) I use either a plastic razor blade or my cut-to-fit-the-can rubber-bladed spatula to transfer wax from the can/jar to the pad.

I usually don`t bother getting out the spatula, but rather keep a plastic razor blade inside my cans of wax so it`s always handy. Using a tool like this is IMO better than scrunching up the pad and trying to jam it in the can/jar of wax.

Starting with a dry pad: Use the tool to smear wax on the pad. Rub the pad together to distribute the wax evenly. Put the pad on the machine and then try to scrap as much wax *off* the pad as you can with the tool. Apply wax to the vehicle (speed 4-4.5 if using a PC), and use the tool to apply more wax to the pad as needed, always trying to scrape off as much (excess) as you can. Pay attention to how much wax is still in/on the pad at the end of the job, if it`s a considerable amount you were too liberal with the product and could`ve used a lot less. Note that (IMO) most people use a zillion times more LSP than they need to, which is not only wasteful but also makes for more difficult buffing, loaded up buffing towels/bonnets, and a greater potential for streaking and other issues.

superstring
06-19-2006, 05:14 PM

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn`t apply either AIO or SG by machine, unless I didn`t care how much product I wasted. These two are just too thin (esp. SG), and, as far as I`m concerned, the pad would soak up WAY too much!

As far as wax is concerned, if I were applying a liquid wax, I would use the PC. But, if I were using a paste, I would apply it by hand. It`s not that I think the PC wouldn`t do the job, it`s that I ENJOY applying paste wax by hand! :D AND, in my experience, it`s easy to apply a thin, even layer of paste by hand, while it`s not as easy with a liquid.

MechWarrior
06-19-2006, 05:41 PM
I do all my work by hand. I don`t have a machine, & don`t want one either. It`s much more enjoyable & fun by hand, but I just basically do only my own car.

If you pick up some Mother`s SynWax, you`ll be REALLY HAPPY !!! :bigups It`s a GREAT product & value, nice clean & bright look.

DigiDan
06-20-2006, 06:39 AM
thanks Guys! Looking for the Mothers Synwax but having some trouble...might have to order it.

Tonight is detail night....last night, the lawn was calling!

Accumulator
06-20-2006, 10:00 AM
Heh heh, "enjoyment" is one of those personal preference things...I prefer doing stuff with the Cyclo over doing it by hand, though I can sometimes enjoy doing the Jag by hand.

Functionally speaking, no way would I want to try to duplicate the cleaning power of AIO via PC on areas like rocker panels by hand. It`s just *so* easy to lie there on a creeper and let the PC do all the work. But then I`m spoiled having a pair of PCs and Cyclos- on with one (using foam pads), off with the other (using MF bonnets).

superstring
06-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Functionally speaking, no way would I want to try to duplicate the cleaning power of AIO via PC on areas like rocker panels by hand. It`s just *so* easy to lie there on a creeper and let the PC do all the work. But then I`m spoiled having a pair of PCs and Cyclos- on with one, off with the other (using MF bonnets).

Accumulator, don`t you find you use a ton of product (AIO) using a MF bonnet? (Not saying this is good or bad ;) )

Accumulator
06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
SuperString- I`m sure I use more than I would working by hand, but as a) it`s not a functional problem like it can be with LSPs and, b) I place a high value on methods that I find both more effective and easier, it`s an extravagance I`m willing to indulge.

One clarification though, I apply with foam, remove with MF bonnet. Sorry I was unclear about that. If it`s just some little area/touch-up I`ll do it by hand, but the whole rocker panel? No way ;)

DigiDan
06-20-2006, 11:58 AM
I agree with Accumulator on the PC usage. I`d rather keep my shoulders intact for other uses like holding my kids, throwing frisbee`s, lifting aluminum cans, etc.

Plus, if the additional "cleaning" action from a PC helps to keep the paint cleaner and swirl free, I`m on that boat as well. Unfortunately I marred my clearcoat with using the wrong type of applicator....by hand. I`ll be able to confirm these suspicions after tonight.

beastie
06-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I like AIO by PC but I SG by hand. The PC allows AIO to remove minor swirls and further burnish the paint when used with a polishing pad. AIO application is faster by hand, though.

Pennypacker
06-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Regarding applying wax by PC, some paste waxes can slide right out of their container (Natty`s and Souveran come to mind). You can then take the block of wax and rub it onto the applicator pad. This won`t work easily with Pink Wax though because of the type of container it comes in.

DigiDan
06-21-2006, 07:10 AM
I busted out the PC 7336 last night for the first time. Clayed, then applied the AIO by PC with a mild cut "white" pad from ProperAuto Care.

I`m literally AMAZED at how easy it was to do this for a newbie - and I managed to polish out some marring that I put in by hand last summer. Awesome Awesome Awesome!!!!!!!!!

I tried the Klasse SG, and wasn`t really impressed with it. Followed directions to the "T" on not applying too much, and it seemed like it didn`t really add much to the AIO. In hindsight, I think I would have rather put a coat of Liquid Glass over the AIO to seal it. I ended up running out of time (at 2:30AM!!!), and just barely had the strength to coat the car with NXT Spray Wax - there again, I`m amazed at the finish that leaves. If only the durability was there, as I`ve read it isn`t.

This was all after using the foam gun to wash......talk about feeling like a kid again!!! My 3.5 year old loves to use this, and she`s now my trusted wash buddy!!!