PDA

View Full Version : what did I do wrong?

slick61
06-18-2006, 09:38 PM
last weekend I worked over my `04 Saturn Vue... washed, clayed, ScratchX on heavy scratches, then Speed Glaze over entire vehicle, followed by 2 coats of NXT. Looked great. Thought I`d try topping the NXT with Natty`s Blue.

The Natty`s went on fine, but OH did I have a time removing it... LOTS of rubbing & buffing. I don`t think I put it on too thick. Should I have misted my microfiber with QD? I used the ole finger swipe test to make sure it was dry. (It`s pretty dry in SoCal to begin with). Worked on it in the garage late afternoon/evening with temps in the 90s.

It`s supposed to be easy on & off, so was wondering where I went awry... especially after the ease with which the NXT went on & came off.

JasonD
06-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Hello, sorry to hear you ran into trouble, but hopefully we`ll be able to figure out where you went wrong so it doesn`t happen again.

First, something I noticed about your product choice. You mentioned using a product called Speed Glaze. I don`t have any personal experience using this product, but purely judging from the name of it, I will assume that it is a "glaze". Some products are called glazes, but are merely just polishes. On the other hand, some products are called polishes and have a lot of fillers in them, which make them act more like glazes. Regardless, if this product that you used contained any fillers (which would make it a glaze), those fillers were removed by the 2 coats of NXT you applied. In the future, if you plan on using a glaze to fill in any imperfections, only top with a product that does not contain cleaners or solvents of any kind.

Now on to why you had a rough time with Natty`s. Did you remove it as you were applying it, or did you apply it to the entire car and then try to remove it?

slick61
06-18-2006, 10:18 PM
Hello, sorry to hear you ran into trouble, but hopefully we`ll be able to figure out where you went wrong so it doesn`t happen again.

First, something I noticed about your product choice. You mentioned using a product called Speed Glaze. I don`t have any personal experience using this product, but purely judging from the name of it, I will assume that it is a "glaze". Some products are called glazes, but are merely just polishes. On the other hand, some products are called polishes and have a lot of fillers in them, which make them act more like glazes. Regardless, if this product that you used contained any fillers (which would make it a glaze), those fillers were removed by the 2 coats of NXT you applied. In the future, if you plan on using a glaze to fill in any imperfections, only top with a product that does not contain cleaners or solvents of any kind.

Now on to why you had a rough time with Natty`s. Did you remove it as you were applying it, or did you apply it to the entire car and then try to remove it?

Speed Glaze is just Meguiar`s #80- a very mild polish to prep the paint for the sealant. I went over the who car one time with the PC. The PC was also used to apply the NXT, which was then removed with a microfiber.

I was just surprised that the Natty`s came off with such effort after 2 coats of NXT- and after everything I`d heard. As far as how I applied...

I applied a thin coat by hand. I first did the roof, hood, & tailgate- then removed with a microfiber towel. Then I proceeded down one side & back down the other, onto front- & removed.

That should`ve given it sufficient time to dry... and it seemed to, at least using the finger swipe test. I was working in the shade (garage) & it was dry (it is the desert after all).

Mad iX
06-18-2006, 10:27 PM
#80 and NXT go very well together in my experience.

Sometimes I experience carnaubas streaking or being more difficult to remove if I apply them right after I`ve just applied a sealant or even another wax.

If possible, give the previous coat some time to settle down before you apply another layer.

That might not have been the cause of your problem but it has occured to me on occasion but not often.

JasonD
06-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Speed Glaze is just Meguiar`s #80- a very mild polish to prep the paint for the sealant. I went over the who car one time with the PC. The PC was also used to apply the NXT, which was then removed with a microfiber.

I was just surprised that the Natty`s came off with such effort after 2 coats of NXT- and after everything I`d heard. As far as how I applied...

I applied a thin coat by hand. I first did the roof, hood, & tailgate- then removed with a microfiber towel. Then I proceeded down one side & back down the other, onto front- & removed.

That should`ve given it sufficient time to dry... and it seemed to, at least using the finger swipe test. I was working in the shade (garage) & it was dry (it is the desert after all).

LOL, I didn`t realize #80 was actually called Speed Glaze. I use this all the time, and it`s a great product, just extremely mild.

Anyway, next time try this:

Allow all sealants to cure for at least 24 hours before topping with another layer of sealant or carnauba. In this case, you used NXT. You did fine by applying two coats, but all you did by doing two (since it has cleaners in it), is apply one *good* even coat, not two.

So wait 24 hours next time before topping with Natty`s to give NXT enough time to cure properly.

As far Natty`s, and this pretty much goes for all carnauba waxes, instead of applying it to multiple panels at a time, remove it immediately after you apply it. This called the wowo method. (wipe on, wipe off). Many people have tested this, and you don`t lose anything by removing it immediately other than the pain in the butt if you wait to remove it once it dries. Basically, apply a nice thin coat to a panel, and immediately remove it with a mf towel. Don`t wait for it to dry.

Try this and let us know how you make out. :2thumbs: