PDA

View Full Version : grecian wonder sponge

Pages : [1] 2

smak
06-18-2006, 05:14 PM
just got a chance to test drive a recently purcahsed grecian wonder sponge i found at an advance auto in new britain the other day..

look like its a man made attempt to improve on the natural softness and porus nature of a true natural sponge.

i am pretty impressed actually. thinking of using it to initiate myself into the realm of optimum no rinse.. just gotta get some good microfiber waffle weaves and a few more sponges and i am set.

has anyone else heard of or tried them? opinions?

charbro
12-28-2007, 07:37 PM
just got a chance to test drive a recently purcahsed grecian wonder sponge i found at an advance auto in new britain the other day..

look like its a man made attempt to improve on the natural softness and porus nature of a true natural sponge.

i am pretty impressed actually. thinking of using it to initiate myself into the realm of optimum no rinse.. just gotta get some good microfiber waffle weaves and a few more sponges and i am set.

has anyone else heard of or tried them? opinions?

Hi Smack:

I`m debating moving over to a sponge from a mitt. I`ve tried the home depot grout sponge, it do not work well for me....maybe I got the wrong one! I have two of the sponges you mention and I washed my wife`s forerunner with ONR. I live in the Midwest. It turned out very very nice.

If fact here`s a little test I preformed to test the Grecian sponge, home depot sponge, and the wool mitt.

I poured a grandular product on my counter and wetted each one of the items above and these were the results.

Mitt: nothing moved into the mitt. The wool laid flat and the particles dragged across the counter....if this was dirt I would assume this would cause swirls on my paint.

Home Depot Grout Sponge (I think I have the wrong one): Holes were way to small and particles stayed on top of the sponge. Only a very small amount moved into the sponge.

I used this sponge on my black car and I KNOW I created some swirls

Grecian Sponge: This made me a convert today. Those little particles got sucked up right into the sponge and that to me means no marring or swirls. This sponge also rinses very very clean. I`m picking up 5 more.

I have resisted using a sponge in other forums and now I`m going to have to eat some crow....LOL :chuckle:

Regards and Happy New Year,

Charlie

detaildoc
12-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi Smack:

I`m debating moving over to a sponge from a mitt. I`ve tried the home depot grout sponge, it do not work well for me....maybe I got the wrong one! I have two of the sponges you mention and I washed my wife`s forerunner with ONR. I live in the Midwest. It turned out very very nice.

If fact here`s a little test I preformed to test the Grecian sponge, home depot sponge, and the wool mitt.

I poured a grandular product on my counter and wetted each one of the items above and these were the results.

Mitt: nothing moved into the mitt. The wool laid flat and the particles dragged across the counter....if this was dirt I would assume this would cause swirls on my paint.

Home Depot Grout Sponge (I think I have the wrong one): Holes were way to small and particles stayed on top of the sponge. Only a very small amount moved into the sponge.

I used this sponge on my black car and I KNOW I created some swirls

Grecian Sponge: This made me a convert today. Those little particles got sucked up right into the sponge and that to me means no marring or swirls. This sponge also rinses very very clean. I`m picking up 5 more.

I have resisted using a sponge in other forums and now I`m going to have to eat some crow....LOL :chuckle:

Regards and Happy New Year,

Charlie

Where do you get the Grecian Sponge?

charbro
12-28-2007, 08:30 PM
Where do you get the Grecian Sponge?

Hi Doc:

I got the sponge at Advance Auto. Listed below is the link to the manufacture. Let me know if you can`t find one.

Professionals Favorite - Grecian Sponge (http://www.professionalsfavorite.com/professionalsfavorite/greciansponge.asp)

Happy New Year,

Charlie

charbro
12-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi Doc:

Try this link and scroll down a bit.

Professionals Favorite - All Products Page (http://www.professionalsfavorite.com/professionalsfavorite/allproducts.asp)

Charlie

wannafbody
12-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Sounds promising. The biggest issue I have with sponges is that they never seem to remove the dirt around creases and body moldings. I find that a MF mitt tends to be more flexible and able to reach hard to get spots.

uzj100
12-28-2007, 08:49 PM
This what you`re talking about?

Excel Grecian Grout Sponge (7 1/4^^ x 5^^ x 2^^ ) (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=47673&pd=298613)

charbro
12-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Sounds promising. The biggest issue I have with sponges is that they never seem to remove the dirt around creases and body moldings. I find that a MF mitt tends to be more flexible and able to reach hard to get spots.

Hi wannafbody:

I`ve only used this sponge once. So I can really say but I guess I would use the edge of the sponge around the molding and use my mitt on hard to reach places. The forerunner has a roof rack and I was able to wash around the rack with no issues.

Regards,

Charlie

Spilchy
12-28-2007, 08:55 PM
I`m telling you boys, natural sea wool sponges are the way to go. They blow away grout sponges and any synthetic sponge. Super silky soft, hold vast amounts of water, flush easily, super malleable to get in all nooks / crannies and don`t marr paint.

I just got a massive new 11" sponge and will use it tomorrow on my father`s new 2008 BMW 328xi coupe that he just picked up.

It`s amazing - everyone here will try all these washing instruments but not a sea sponge.

charbro
12-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I`m telling you boys, natural sea wool sponges are the way to go. They blow away grout sponges and any synthetic sponge. Super silky soft, hold vast amounts of water, flush easily, super malleable to get in all nooks / crannies and don`t marr paint.

I just got a massive new 11" sponge and will use it tomorrow on my father`s new 2008 BMW 328xi coupe that he just picked up.

It`s amazing - everyone here will try all these washing instruments but not a sea sponge.

You`re right Splichy....I`ll try one.

Charlie

charbro
12-28-2007, 09:03 PM
This what you`re talking about?

Excel Grecian Grout Sponge (7 1/4^^ x 5^^ x 2^^ ) (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=47673&pd=298613)

Hi Landcruiser:

No that`s not the one I mentioned. See link below and scroll down a bit

Professionals Favorite - All Products Page (http://www.professionalsfavorite.com/professionalsfavorite/allproducts.asp)

Spilchy
12-28-2007, 09:11 PM
I found it!

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com (http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PFA&MfrPartNumber=APF200&CategoryCode=3307)

charbro
12-28-2007, 09:17 PM
I found it!

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com (http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PFA&MfrPartNumber=APF200&CategoryCode=3307)

That`s it!

Thomas Dekany
12-28-2007, 10:08 PM

Where do you get yours?

Pennypacker
12-28-2007, 11:08 PM
I agree about sea sponges. I prefer them by a wide margin. I`m partial to the Top of the Line ones myself. Expensive, but worth it to me.