PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing noob question -- how to clean towels, etc?

Sanveann
06-18-2006, 08:12 AM
OK, I feel like the BIGGEST dope asking this ... but what`s the best way to wash my microfiber towels, microfiber sponges, sheepskin mitt, etc.? Can they be tossed in the washer? Just rinsed with water? Something else entirely?

jdhutchin
06-18-2006, 08:18 AM
I just wash mine in the washing machine, with ordinary detergent. I use the `delicate` cycle, and your detergent can`t have fabric softener in it. You can dry them on low heat in the dryer, as long as you don`t put a dryer sheet in (the dryer sheet will leave stuff on the towels which will streak).

Ben Kenobi
06-18-2006, 08:29 AM
If mine are very dirty I`ll soak them with some Woolite in a bucket along with some Oxyclean or a fabric stain remover. Then into the washing machine after I`ve rinsed them with Woolite or liquid laundry detergent. NO fabric softener and then I air dry them after they`re done as they aren`t that wet. For my sheepskin mitt I just rinse and then hang it to dry in the garage. I`ve been using my towels for over a year and they`ve help up great.

Accumulator
06-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Towels: I wash on hot with multiple rinses, often putting distilled white vinegar in the last rinse. I dry on low or medium for MF and high for cotton.

Much to my surprise, I found that "microfiber detergents" work much better for me than regular ones. I never figured out why and finally quit caring (it works for me and that`s all I really care about).

Sponges/foam: I usually just wash them out in hot water by hand with some Dawn or some Removes All from TOL. Air dry. I`ve put them in the washer before and never had any problems, but IMO they come cleaner when I do them by hand. I really *knead* them and make sure I work as much product as I can out of `em.

Sheepskin mitts: I machine wash on a somewhat delicate cycle with Woolite. Usually air dry. Again, multiple rinses.

kaptain86
06-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Yea with microfiber you aren`t supposed to use heat, so I just throw all my microfiber towels in a cold wash and then `fluff air` or no heat to it.

If they are still a little damp just leave them hangin out somewhere and they will be good as new.

medic159
06-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Yea with microfiber you aren`t supposed to use heat, so I just throw all my microfiber towels in a cold wash and then `fluff air` or no heat to it....

Actually that`s not true, use HOT water to best clean your towels with a good liquid detergent. User low dryer heat on polyester MF and high heat on cotton and cotton MF.

imported_TheFiveO
06-18-2006, 03:06 PM
For the MF`s (I still crack up when I type that) I just wash them in the machine with regular ol laundry detergent on warm, permanent press cycle. Just be sure that you DO NOT add fabric softener. Then medium heat in the dryer. All of mine are still holding together quite well.

For the sheepskin mitts etc, I recommend a bucket of clean water and hose and just rinse till clear.

For the polishing/waxing pads (PC and Cyclo pads) I use dishsoap or some Amway stuff called LOC and a bucket of warm water and hand wash. Then rinse, spin dry with my RB and let air dry. Just be sure to NOT wring the foam as this puts strain on the adhesive hook and loop backing (From what I have heard)

Hope this is of some help.

imported_Grouse
06-18-2006, 03:19 PM
This Thread has tons of info on the very same questions.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72931

III
06-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Actually that`s not true, use HOT water to best clean your towels with a good liquid detergent. User low dryer heat on polyester MF and high heat on cotton and cotton MF.

Agreed. I`ve been using hot water for years with no bad affects. When I say hot I`m referring to 120 degrees which is what my water heater is set at.

kaptain86
06-18-2006, 05:30 PM
ah, from the labels it says no heat, guess i was wrong on that one.

imported_Grouse
06-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Agreed. I`ve been using hot water for years with no bad affects. When I say hot I`m referring to 120 degrees which is what my water heater is set at.

I have mine set at a whopping 155

Z K
06-19-2006, 09:15 AM
I use the Sonus Der Wunder Washe that they sell on autopia-carcare. It`s worked good so far for me. Much better than the regular laundry detergents.