PDA

View Full Version : What products to use for wash/wax type details

manmanSS
06-17-2006, 06:19 PM
Hey guys,

I am just starting out a small hobby based detail service, and I have had a lot of intrest in a simple wash and wax service, and I was wondering how to and what products to generally use. Thing is I am trying to establish a base, So I would like a little better result even if it takes a little more time and is more work than I am charging.

I was mainly confused in what to use as a polish/cleaner.

I was thinking for the relatively clean fininshes just use Megs Cleaner wax and then top with a pure carnuba.

But I was wondering what polish to use, that has good cleaning power and relatively quick and easy to use. I sampled megs #9 swirl remover and had good results. I dont think its the best for swirl removal, PB SSR2.5 is good for that, but the megs product was very easy to use and succesful in removing minor oxidization and bringing a deep finish. And then topping with a pure carnuba LSP.

I was thinking about Klasse AIO, but read that it brings out swirls, It`d be nice if I could find something to hide swirls.

What do you suggest, thanks guys

Scottwax
06-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Of what you listed, I`d go with #9. Works great by hand or machine, excellent look too. Not very aggressive though but more so than the other two you listed.

autobahn
06-18-2006, 12:47 AM
well, polishing adds a BIG step up from just "wash/wax" details. When you start polishing you`re flirting with "full details", sans interior.

Accumulator
06-18-2006, 10:25 AM
Not sure if it`d be cost-effective, but I`d recommend what I used on family/friend cars back when I was going a lot of freebies: Either Autoglym SRP or 1Z polish, topped with Collinite wax.

The 1z stuff is *so* easy to use yet gives pretty good results (better than cleaner-wax and even #9 IMO). The SRP is similar to AIO but doesn`t show marring as badly and leaves more protection. The Collinite`s beading amazes most people and makes them think they "really got a great wax job".

Note that I used these combos when I had most of the common-at-Autopia products on the shelf to choose from ;)

Sherman8r44
06-18-2006, 11:34 AM
Yeah, polishing is a pretty big step up from just wash `n` waxing.

If you`re looking for a decent one-step polish to remove swirls and also put down protection, then Chemical Guys Laser Buff (http://danase.com/chgucoandscr.html) and Meguiar`s #66 (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/Meguiar`s%20Professional%20Polishing%20Products.ht m) look like your miracle products.

I`ve heard that ColorX is a great one-step cleaner wax that excels at cleaning and leaves some polymer protection.

Five Star
06-18-2006, 01:28 PM
If your offering a wash/wax .. don`t go adding glazes, 1 step polishing unless your getting at least $100 a car.