PDA

View Full Version : Is ZFX going byby?

MBurnickas
06-17-2006, 01:54 PM
I went into my garage today and saw an old bottle of Pro mixed with zfx laying there. It must have been three weeks old, and it wasn`t dried up or clotted up like the old z2 would have been. Is this new news or do all you guys already know about this? I`m wondering if you dumped 1/2 bottle of zfx in a bottle of Z2Pro if you would even need to bother with the mixing bottles.

Intercooled
06-17-2006, 02:24 PM
My understanding is that even though its not hard or clumped up, ZFX only has a short life span , than its not doing whats its intended to do. ZFX chemically cross links Z2 or Z5. So.....I believe that by dumping in half a bottle of ZFX you have cross linked the product but after so much time has passed the product would not be what its intended to be and just be some wierd chemically imbalanced non performing sealant. I dont know exactly what happens chemically. This is just my assumption, I`m sure some one, like Zano O or BlkZ28 has the correct info on this.

ZaneO
06-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Once it is mixed, it has a limited lifespan.

SilverLexus
06-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Lifespan of the standalone product is stated to be 18 months. When used with Z sealants it is 24 hours.

TortoiseAWD
06-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Lifespan of the standalone product is stated to be 18 months. When used with Z sealants it is 24 hours.I ran into the same thing as the OP; I came across a mixing bottle of Z2Pro/ZFX that had maybe 1/4 oz. left in it. It hadn`t set up in the bottle as previous versions of Z2 did, and it had been floating around in my bag for at least a month.

It also happened to be Valentine`s Day when I discovered the bottle, so I took the corner of a MF applicator, and wrote a message to my gf on the bathroom mirror with the expired Z2Pro/ZFX, let it sit for a couple of minutes, then buffed it off. It came off the glass cleanly, and when Cindi took a shower that morning, the message showed nicely on the steamy bathroom mirror.

That was mid-Feb. Cindi has since cleaned the bathroom glass a number of times with glass cleaner. The message is still visible when the bathroom gets steamed up from the shower, although it`s finally showing signs of fading.

What`s that mean? I don`t know, exactly. I doubt sincerely that the expired Z2Pro/ZFX is as durable as a fresh mix, but it`s pretty impressive as a bathroom mirror marker. :D It does make me wonder how "expired" leftovers would work on paint, though . . . would that layer simply have less durability, but still give a temporary boost in shine? That`s better than running it down the drain, IMO.

Tort