PDA

View Full Version : Help: Sharpie Accident

JasonD
06-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Hey guys, I need your help. My brand new motorcycle is getting some work done by a friend of mine that`s awesome with Hayabusas, and he called me today extremely disappointed. He evidentally walked by my bike shaking a Sharpie marker, and didn`t notice that the marker fluid was coming out of it. He actually did it a few days ago, and didn`t notice the black specs all over my paint until today. He said they are barely noticeable, but are there nonetheless. He tried acetone (real acetone not fingernail polish remover), and that didn`t do squat.

I`m going to see the bike in a little while, any suggestions on how to get this stuff off? He offered to have the panel in question repainted if it can`t come off, but I`d like to leave that as a last resort.

I`m thinking about trying WD40 and maybe some goof off if that doesn`t work, but goof off is so harsh that I hate using it. I`m open for any suggestions. :help:

Scottwax
06-17-2006, 01:03 PM
Try polishing the paint, it should work.

stilez
06-17-2006, 01:06 PM
I`d say a good paint cleaner as well.

I`m sure wetsanding would remove it, but on a bike, I`d rather have it resprayed.

mblgjr
06-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Usually Rubbing alcohol takes a Sharpie mark off for me.

I`ve also seen hairspray and a Mr. Clean magic eraser do well.

topnotchtouch
06-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Have you tried NXT, prior threads have shown it to remove sharpie from washing machines :D Just kidding, well sort of. I would agree with others that a mild paint cleaner should do the trick.

I would test it for you on my bike but, I just replaced ALL the plastic on my bike and am a little hesitant to put sharpie marks on new plastic :nervous2:

Any updates on mods to the `Busa? I would be very interested to hear how things are going with it.

P.S. No I didn`t wreck my bike. I bought the bike as a project. I have always loved the 4th gen Honda VFR (94-97), this is my second one. This one was well used and I am going through the whole bike repairing and replacing old, worn out parts. It is just about done except for the suspension. I am putting a Penske two-way shock out back but, have not decided what to do with the forks yet. So far I am leaning towards Race Tech springs/Gold Valves.

JasonD
06-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, I went to see the bike today, and it`s not that bad at all. Just tiny little specs here and there. If I don`t point it out, nobody would ever be able to tell.

I ended up trying a tiny bit of goof off on a mf towel, and the spots started to come off, but with a decent amount of rubbing and pressure. Since I didn`t have my detail supplies with me, and the bike is going to get dusty all over again, I decided to just leave it alone, and deal with it when I get it home next week.

Thanks for the replies, I will certainly try all of your suggestions to find the least invasive method.

rjstaaf,

So far we`ve installed the following:

McIntosh Alumipro Swingarm adjustable from 2"-6" over powdercoated semi-gloss black

Gilles rear sets - black

16 tooth Vortex front sproket

PMR one piece triple tree

Adjustable drag links

McCulloch HID headlight 5,000k

Pazzo clutch and brake levers

small airbox mod

full TiForce SUMO exhaust system

Power Commander w. custom map

Speedo Healer

Muzzy aluminum fan

PAIR valve block off and removal kit

Mototeck undertail

All of these mods will be finished as of this weekend hopefully, and will ride the bike for a month or so before I do this: (Parts already ordered)

1397cc big bore kit

ported head w/ new springs and titanium retainers

yosh cams

magical racing mirrors

and another custom tune, except this time on a dyno

I want to ride the bike as is for a little while before we do the engine work to see how much of a difference it makes, you know?

Anyway, I`ll post pics when I get the bike back to show you what`s been done so far. I just can`t wait to ride the thing!!

Here`s a hint of what`s going on so far. This was taken today with my phone. I apologize for the lack of quality. All that`s left to do is install the Gilles rear sets, and Vortex front sproket.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/061706_18231.jpg

John U
06-18-2006, 07:39 PM
A whiteboard marker wiped over it will remove permanent marker.

JU

runnerbl
06-18-2006, 08:37 PM
A whiteboard marker wiped over it will remove permanent marker.

JU

Second this method....works like a champ...dry eraser marker is the way to go

JasonD
06-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Very interesting. I will definitely try that method first!

wash-girl
06-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Sanford (Sharpie) recommends (http://www.sharpie.com/sanford/consumer/sharpie/home/faqs.jhtml?faqcode=1450) a product called Amodex ink stain remover (http://www.pencityusa.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/Amodex/Amodex.htm?E+scstore). Apparently is is safe for use on painted surfaces. (http://www.fahrneyspens.com/images/p8700E.gif) They do say the sooner the better, as far as Sharpie stains. Maybe you could find this stuff locally or rush the shipment online.

See also http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45834

Hope that helps.

Ed Fisher
06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Well I tried my daughter`s black markers to dab rock nicks and it worked fine after I waxed them over. Of course they are a bit "gun-bluish" when you pay too much attention but who cares ? It`s much cheaper than re-painting the hood and fenders....

Accumulator
06-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Is a dry-erase marker primarily IPA?

I use both IPA and 3M Adhesive Remover to remove Sharpie ink from the blades of knives when I sharpen them, but steel isn`t porous the way some paints are.

jfelbab
06-19-2006, 04:53 PM
A couple years ago I bought a new washer and dryer. I installed them and decided to build a laundry room around them In doing so I accidentally got some Sharpie ink on them. WD40 took the ink right off. Fortunately for me as the wife was clearly not too impressed.