PDA

View Full Version : Grout sponge, is it really safe?

Pages : [1] 2

efinirx7gt
06-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Well I`ve been reading in various threads that some people use grout sponges to wash their car. Now I only use wool mit as I don`t get any marring on my soft black mazda paint but hate that it looses water and suds easily, plus I hate wearing a mit. So is the grout sponge really safe and doesn`t leave any marring? Theres a do it center near me so I hope they carry it. Any input would be great.

a.k.a. Patrick
06-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Well I`ve been reading in various threads that some people use grout sponges to wash their car. Now I only use wool mit as I don`t get any marring on my soft black mazda paint but hate that it looses water and suds easily, plus I hate wearing a mit. So is the grout sponge really safe and doesn`t leave any marring? Theres a do it center near me so I hope they carry it. Any input would be great.

I looked at one at Homey Depot the other day, and contrary to what others find valuable with it, I dont. Sponges are sponges in my world, and unless they`re covered with sheepskin, its not for me..... :nono

SpoiledMan
06-16-2006, 11:01 PM
But did you try it Patrick?

a.k.a. Patrick
06-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Chris, I didnt even give it a second thought amigo. I just didnt like the feel, & looks of it........I sat there and "weighed" the sheepskin in the left hand, and the grout sponge in the right hand and said to myself, "naaaaaaaaaaaah".........

Joshua312
06-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Chris, I didnt even give it a second thought amigo. I just didnt like the feel, & looks of it........I sat there and "weighed" the sheepskin in the left hand, and the grout sponge in the right hand and said to myself, "naaaaaaaaaaaah".........

Your missing out...I`ll never use anything but a grout sponge anymore

efinirx7gt
06-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Hmmm I might try the grout sponge on one of my panels, if it doesn`t mar the paint I may consider using it. If it doesn`t work out I could always use the sponge for my wheels.

Accumulator
06-17-2006, 08:50 AM
It`s not likely that the sponge itself will mar your paint, but I`d test it (wet with wash solution, not dry ;) ) on a CD to make sure.

The potential problem with such wash media is the chance of abrasive dirt getting getting caught in the sponge or otherwise pressed against the paint; if said dirt is moved while in pressed against the paint you`ll get marring. Really the same risk you run with most any other wash media.

SpoiledMan
06-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Your missing out...I`ll never use anything but a grout sponge anymore

Same for me. As long as they last it may take me a couple years to use the 3 that I have.:D

Joshua312
06-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Same for me. As long as they last it may take me a couple years to use the 3 that I have.:D

haha thats the truth...Everytime I go to home depot I pick some up since they are only $2/each - its nice to have dedicated ones for wheels, wheel wells, 4 per side of vehicle..etc..marring is greatly reduced vs a wash mitt (for me anyways..I could never get a wash mitt to not mar :( )

imported_Surfer
06-18-2006, 08:36 AM
haha thats the truth...Everytime I go to home depot I pick some up since they are only $2/each - its nice to have dedicated ones for wheels, wheel wells, 4 per side of vehicle..etc..marring is greatly reduced vs a wash mitt (for me anyways..I could never get a wash mitt to not mar :( )Hmm, so I could use the grout sponge and wouldn`t have to worry about marring really? Just the thought of using a spong is what makes me nervous lol. So this works pretty well?

wannafbody
06-18-2006, 08:39 AM
pourous sponges have holes and very little surface contact area. any dirt should get sucked into the pores and drop into the bucket. Even if sheepskin is soft you`re still dragging dirt along the surface. I might do some comparisons.

efinirx7gt
06-18-2006, 09:32 AM
pourous sponges have holes and very little surface contact area. any dirt should get sucked into the pores and drop into the bucket. Even if sheepskin is soft you`re still dragging dirt along the surface. I might do some comparisons.

Please do, would love to hear your opinion between the two.

superstring
06-18-2006, 09:49 AM
pourous sponges have holes and very little surface contact area. any dirt should get sucked into the pores and drop into the bucket.

I don`t see how dirt "should get sucked into the pores" Are you saying there`s some kind of capillary action going on? :confused:

Spilchy
06-18-2006, 09:58 AM
I think he means that as you apply pressure, the dirt that comes in contact with the sponge has many channels to travel up into and get safely trapped and compartmentalized. It is traveling up into the sponge as a result of pressure and the lubricity of the soap.

With sheepskin, although soft, the dirt can only travel so far and not get "compartmentalized" like in the sponge and then gets pushed around before you can rinse.

Have you ever seen the diagram of how microfiber works in relation to cotton? Here is a blow up of a strand of MF (below). See how the dirt can get safely trapped even with reapplying it to the surface? Same applies to a sponge, especially a quality sea wool sponge that I love. Or in this case, apparantly a grout sponge that I`ll have to try.

Do I make sense?!

wannafbody
06-18-2006, 09:59 AM
my thinking is that the dirt gets trapped by the open spaces-maybe not-just a thought