PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the summer sun

Pages : [1] 2

zannard
03-14-2005, 11:32 PM
I know it isn`t summer yet, it just snowed here, but I noticed some of you are from places where the sun is a pain in the ass. Here in NM the sun is brutal at almost all hours of the day during the summer.

My question is do most of you use canopy`s of some sort or do you use products that can be used in full sun. Basically, how do you avoid the sun.

Even washing in the sun can be very difficult when it is hot out.
If your anwser is "products", which ones?

thanks

Schuma Detail
03-14-2005, 11:56 PM
I can honestly say the answer would be very simple.

Park the car in the shade somewhere...

dpeezy415
03-15-2005, 12:53 AM
I know what you mean. This summer temps will get up over 100F and can be a real drag to detail in.

In my driveway I have to wait til midafternoon, like 3 or 4pm, and by the time I`m finishing up it`s getting dark. Not the best time to admire your work...

I was considering a canopy for 70-80 bucks but some products are sun-safe like PBs if you HAVE to work out of the shade.

karwaxer
03-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Hey, I use an ezup canopy they are easy to set up and take down by yourself.
You can get an 10 x 10 for around $250 or check out pep boys they have a homeowners version that is very good for $79 after rebates . Home depot has had them in the past also. Good luck!

klnyc
03-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Yup, me too, I was thinking about getting a 8`x10` canopy online. I saw it somewhere, the price range from 89-299.99.

zannard
03-15-2005, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=karwaxer]Hey, I use an ezup canopy they are easy to set up and take down by yourself.

Is this the same one?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2625114

Only weighs 29 pounds and with the price wouldn`t totally break me if I didn`t like it. Could always take it back....lol.....

karwaxer
03-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Hey Zannard, they are pretty much all alike. The main difference is how heavy ( mils ) the vinyl is and is the peak spring loaded or do you have to assemble the peak frame after you set it up. This is seems like a good price and looks like a decent canopy.

Poorboy
03-16-2005, 06:36 PM
I know it isn`t summer yet, it just snowed here, but I noticed some of you are from places where the sun is a pain in the ass. Here in NM the sun is brutal at almost all hours of the day during the summer.

My question is do most of you use canopy`s of some sort or do you use products that can be used in full sun. Basically, how do you avoid the sun.

Even washing in the sun can be very difficult when it is hot out.
If your anwser is "products", which ones?

thanks

I`ve always liked detailing in the sun:dunno ...you can always see what you are doing and what everyone else will see when you are driving or parked outside...especially show cars:)

Hawaiianelement
03-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Pb`sproducts work great in the sun. Just do one panel at a time..

polishw/ Carnuba
EX
EX-P
and I`m sure the EX-P+

Heff
03-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey guys I was just looking and those canopies, and is this something a person can set up quickly by themselves? And how compact is it when it`s broken down? I ask because whne I detail at a clients house and they have no shade or garage, I would need to use it, but I don`t want it to take forever to set up, and I would hate to have to ask for help setting it up,
is there anyone whoi can recoomend a specific one?
thanks
Heff

Woob
03-26-2005, 11:45 AM
You can get an EZ Open canopy that goes for anywhere up to 150, but they open with just 1 person in the middle, unlike my knock off "Easy Open" Canopy that takes 2 people lots of trouble! :lol As for the sun, I agree with Poorboy, light is VERY key to what your doing and there are many products that are designed to fit certain conditions. For rinsing, I just use QD to take any spots. For waxes, almost all of mine aren`t picky and will come off very easily.

Drink lots of water and wear sunscreen!

Boss_429
03-26-2005, 11:51 AM
With the sun you folks get down in NM (been there), I would opt for something to provide a little shade. If nothing else, for your health... not just the vehicle!

zannard
03-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I don`t like standing out in the sun for 6 or 8 hours. Plus when the paint on your car gets too hot to touch, I don`t want to work on it, whether the products were made for that or not. I know it kills time, but I can always pull the car into the sun for inspection.

I still haven`t bought the canopy, but believe I will here in the next month or so. That is when the sun really starts to bake you.

shotime
03-26-2005, 02:42 PM
I`ve always liked detailing in the sun:dunno ...you can always see what you are doing and what everyone else will see when you are driving or parked outside...especially show cars:)

It`s also funny when they see you waxing/polishing in the sun with PB`s and they go home and try and to theirs in the sun with turtle wax.

Poorboy
03-26-2005, 02:54 PM
It`s also funny when they see you waxing/polishing in the sun with PB`s and they go home and try and to theirs in the sun with turtle wax.

:lol ..when we had our Detailing Day last year it was in the 90`s and very sunny..there was a car wash next door (swirl-o-matic) that also did detailing.
The manager was watch all of us and came over and talked to my friend who ran the dealership and asked what all these people were doing detailing out in the sun since we only had a few tents...he said, " you can`t do that" , my friend said they all are :lmfao