PDA

View Full Version : re-bottling your products...

imported_Amused
06-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Problem:

I`ve grown tired of the funky fumes exuding from the plastic crates holding my products. I`ve found that the Optimum bottles tend to leak the most fumes too! I almost knocked myself out inspecting the bottles last week trying to find the culprit.

Solution:

I made a run to The Container Store and picked up a load of Nalgene Leakproof bottles...32oz & 16oz container bottles, 4oz flip-tops, and 1/2oz droppers(Zaino specific :grinno:). It was fairly inexpensive, ~$30 for all of it. The investment was worth it. After transferring all of the products to their new bottles the funk faded away. No more fumes, and dispensing became much much easier.

I know a bunch of you like to transfer product to smaller squeeze bottles for working, but how many of you transfer all contents to new containers? If you`re like me and can`t stand the chemical smell, I`d suggest checking out the Nalgene bottles.

imported_norahcrv
06-16-2006, 12:58 PM
The only Nalgene bottles I`ve seen around here are "hard sided", so you couldn`t squeeze them to dispense the product. How are the ones that you got? Or do you just tip it over & rely on gravity?

autobahn
06-16-2006, 01:07 PM
nalgene is just a brand, they make bottles from different materials...

their "specialty" is polycarbonate bottles, the "hard" ones, but they make flexible bottles for chemistry and stuff too.

miked2
06-16-2006, 01:59 PM
The best bottles and sprayers that I`ve used are those that Griot`s Garage uses for their products. Unfortunately, while you can buy the sprayer separately, I don`t think that they sell the bottles themselves separately. Meguiar`s also sells empty bottles for their professional line (try doing a search for "auto detailing solutions" on google).

imported_Grouse
06-16-2006, 02:28 PM
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1

Spilchy
06-16-2006, 03:09 PM
This is the bottle you want:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=usplastic&category%5Fname=14952&product%5Fid=13628

Unlike the Optimum bottles and many of the store bought little bottles from the dollar store or beauty supply stores, these have the number "3" inside Resin Identification Code (recycle symbol) on the bottom. They are made from Vinyl Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) which is strong and stands up to chemicals.

What ever bottle you buy, look for the number "3" on the bottom. If you notice, a majority of your detailing products have it too.

These do NOT warp like many of the bottles people switch products into and they don`t smell like product. I bought 40 of them at .54 cents a piece to mix 8 oz batches of all my products to keep in a tool box to take on a detail.

Based on my research and discussions with the folks at US Plastics, this is what you want - and it`s cheap!

They are fantastic. Trust me, they work and don`t warp or release odors.

VroomVroom
06-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Yet another great example of why I love this site. Thanks for the great info! I`ve tried a few different bottles now - most recently the Poorboy`s crayon ones - with a marginal level of happiness. I will definitely be buying some of the US Plastic ones. Thanks again...