PDA

View Full Version : wax layering

webstrive
06-16-2006, 09:48 AM
hi,

ive read in griots handbook that wax can be layered by allowing it to cure for 2 hours, and then following with another thin layer without buffing off the first. after both layers cure a bit longer, than you buff it all off.

can this work in general, this would save having to wait 24 hours curing time before a 2nd layer?

Accumulator
06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
I`ve read that in the "handbook" too, and it doesn`t make sense to me. When I tried it (with a non-Griot`s wax, if that matters, which I doubt), I didn`t see any benefit over just waxing normally with two applications. And any improvement (in the absence of spit-shining) was, IMO just more oils/etc. on the surface anyhow, not "twice the wax".

Consider that LSPs bond at a pretty low level, most of what you apply gets buffed off and a tiny amount (that`s on the "bottom", in direct contact with the paint) stays on the paint. If you put the second coat over top of the part of the *first* coat that`s gonna get wiped off anyhow, what can it contribute?

IMO this just isn`t too viable...not like when you use a spit-shine technique to mitigate solvent-action and constantly build up the amount of wax that`s on top of the paint. It might work to some extent if you put the first layer on very thin, to the point of working it until it basically disappears. But I dunno...

Much as I like Richard Griot, I can`t help but think it`s just a way for people to go throught their Best of Show wax quicker ;)

If you want to build up wax quickly, try spit-shining.

mikeo
06-16-2006, 12:09 PM
I layered per Griot`s suggestion as seemed logical. Did not see much a change with shine compared to another (normal) single layer with my dark blue metallic paint in pristine condition. Clearly after washing with their car wash all the extra shine got toned down. No plan to layer again for me.

webstrive
06-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the replies,

Accumulator, that makes perfect sense. I don`t know why I didn`t realize how silly the idea actually is. I`ll be checking out the spit shining threads