PDA

View Full Version : Brand new paint job, lookng for everything you can tell me..:)

Justin Horne
06-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Allright, in about a week, my car is going in for it`s $4500 Corvette black, with cut and polish paint job...:) As you can likely tell, this is a big deal for me, and I can imagine it will look spectacualr.

Anyway, with brand new paint comes a swirl free base. Before, I`ve been using NXT tech wax and the Meg`s applicator. I know how to wash a car the correct way (thanks to reading here.)

That said....

What specific thing should I use to wash with? I`ve got a good mit right now, but I`m just gonna buy something new for this, I figure there`s no reason not too...

What wash solution? NXT wash, or something else?

Drying: Right now I`m using some autozone MFs, but it`s about time to get better ones.. I was looking at the Meg`s Water Magnet thing, any good?

Wax... I`ve heard that wax on young paint is very bad for about 3 months, so what should I put on to protect the paint? Some form of glaze?

Also, there`s a Clear Bra going on the car.. Should that go on over whatever protectant, or not?

Ah, so many questions.. I tried searching, but when you want to find "New Paint," and `New` is not included for being too short, you get a LOT of posts..:D

Thank you all!

imported_steveo3002
06-16-2006, 01:46 AM
your right , wait 90 days before you wax,seal or fit the bra....in that time you can use a glaze to pretty it up

you seem to like the megs stuff, which is fine. maybe go for a wool wash mitt, nxt wash and a water magnet

megs hyper wash is a more econoimal way if you wash alot

jimmybuffit
06-16-2006, 02:15 AM
The Clear Bra Should not be applied for at least 30/90 days.

(Have the installer show you actual cars, not pictures, that he has done. It is a very tricky process, and substantial experience is required.)

Refinish paint systems cure slowly. The outgasing continues for a minimum of 30 days, and up to 90 days, depending on the manufacturer.

Meguiar`s Show Car Glaze is our choice.

I`ll bet your excited!

Jim

Justin Horne
06-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, if Megs is the good stuff, that`s what I`ll use.. I commented about it mostly because that`s essentailly what I`ve used in the past...

I didn`t know to wait on the Clear Bra as well, good to know...

And yes, I`m super excited, I`ll post pics..

Also, just got done pulling (well, it`s still sitting in the truck, but it`s totally free) a 340 hp or so Chevy 350 high output to be put in as well...

I`m very excited..:D

Thanks guys.

Accumulator
06-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Justin Horne- Welcome to Autopia!

Just make sure you don`t have any "issues" right away so you can get it back to them for additional work promptly. I *always* seem to find something that bugs me...so I spend forever inspecting it, especially after the first wash.

Yeah, wait a minimum of 90 days (I usually wait longer) as all the paint manufacturers said to wait at least that long. MirrorFinishMan queried them a while back (you might search out the post) and got the straight scoop. Note that bodyshops/painters often give out misinformation about this for some reason, guess they don`t read the data sheets or something :nixweiss

For the glaze, I find Meg`s #5 to be *SO* easy to use that it`s minor appearance deficit compared to #7 (Showecar Glaze) is worth it. Since you have to reapply after every wash, ease-of-use might be as important to you as it is to me ;) And in side-by-sides it was much better than 3M IHG, another popular choice. #5 can be tricky to find, but you`ll have a little time while they do the painting (I just ordered my last bottle from Meguiar`s 800 number).

Washes that work OK for me on fresh paint include: Griot`s Car Wash (my overall favorite), Meg`s #62 and #00, P21S, and Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo. While I`m big on lubricity anyhow, IMO it`s especially important with unprotected and still-sorta-soft fresh paint. Remember that the paint will continue to harden for a while and you really do have to be especially gentle with it for the first few weeks. Avoid washes that claim to leave something behind ("gloss enhancers", etc.).