PDA

View Full Version : Backing plates & pads...simplified?

OH_TL_81
06-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey folks,

Been checking out this page for the past week and am amazed with all the knowledge accumulated in one central spot.

I`ve got an 06 Acura TL that I have applied the following:

-Duragloss car wash

-Meg`s NXT Liquid Wax (Realize NOW all the alternatives out there)

-Duragloss AW

I have PC 7424 and am looking to acquire a new backing plate and pads...I have searched and read for hours...and hopefully someone can shed some light on the following

-Backing plate: 5" or 6"? Do 6.5" pads fit 5" BP`s? Are different brands (Sonus, LC) compatible with different BP`s?...any thoughts?

-What does the "DA" (Dual Action) reference to some product lines refer to? Usually the pads are thicker, but why?

-And of course, the very generic? what combinations do you recommend w/out breaking the bank?

Any help is appreciated?

emaxxman
06-15-2006, 10:03 AM
-Backing plate: 5" or 6"? Do 6.5" pads fit 5" BP`s? Are different brands (Sonus, LC) compatible with different BP`s?...any thoughts?

-What does the "DA" (Dual Action) reference to some product lines refer to? Usually the pads are thicker, but why?

-And of course, the very generic? what combinations do you recommend w/out breaking the bank?

Any help is appreciated?

Since the pads are basically velcro, I would assume a 5" backing plate would be fine with a 6.5" buffing pad...you just wouldn`t have as much area "backed" which may or may not be an issue.

The DA refers to the path the pad travels. A rotary polisher/sander simply spins the disc in a circle...like when you balance and spin a dinner plate on a stick.

The DA polishers/sanders spin the disc and also moves the center rotation point in a circle. Think of it as you`re spinning the dinner plate on the stick but you`re also moving the hand holding the stick in a circular motion.

This dual action (wood sanders call it random orbit) helps to prevent the sanding/polishing action being concentrated in one location and therefore helps to create a smoother, burn free finish.

Pads marked with DA simple refer to pads intended to be used with the DA polisher.

chml17l
06-15-2006, 11:14 AM
This link should address many of your questions--Porter Cable 7424 How To (http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=47)

Be sure to check out David B`s complete detailing guide as it a very good primer on all things detailing.