PDA

View Full Version : Big detail tomorow, poor results last time (Questions too)

G35 Mass
06-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Some of you saw or posted in my thread concerning the life spen (lack there of) of FMJ, and we`ve determined that I botched it up, somewhere.

So my friend (98 Vette, red) has been bothering me for about 2 years to detail his car after he saw my results (horrible, imo) on my old Grand Am. So Tomorow I`ll be finaly doing this.

Here`s my plan of attack:

Clean wheels with DP jell

Wash car twice with Dawn

Glass polish with DP glass stuff

Clay bar, then wash with Dawn

SSR2.5 ofr 1, depending on how bad it is

Wash with alcohol mixture

Poorboys polish

Wash with alcohol mixture

FMJ

Wash with car soap

Wax wheels with DP tire jell

Wheel dressing

I cant seem to find the specifics about cleaning products off with alcohol. Do I spray it on and use a MF to remove it, or do i do the 50/50 in a bucket and the usual car wash device (mitt, mf dogbone) to wash? If I do the spray technique, should I do a regular soap wash?

In regards to washing, is it proper to use Dawn for ALL washing up to the sealant / wax? Or should that only be used for the first wash to strip the car of any wax? Thanks

G35

imported_Grouse
06-14-2006, 07:41 PM
tag for my learning experience.

imported_Amused
06-14-2006, 07:58 PM
you shouldn`t have to wash with dawn twice before claying. actually, i would keep the dawn in the kitchen and use a car shampoo.

with the alcohol wipe down, you can just use a spray bottle and make your 50/50 mix there. spray on like a QD, but more liberally and wipe.

you don`t have to wipe down with your ipa mix between polishing steps, just remove the residue with an mf. the ipa wipe down should only be necessary before lsp application.

and do not wash your car after fmj. you don`t want to mess with it while it cures. just give it a final buff and let it cure.

EDIT: this is what i would do...

wash wheels - product x

wash car - product x

clay(can also do this while washing or after) - product x

wash car(optional, if you didn`t wipe clean while claying) - product x

polish glass - product x

polishing steps - product x

ipa wipe down

wheels and wells

fmj

webstrive
06-14-2006, 08:02 PM
should glass also be clayed before polishing?

imported_Grouse
06-14-2006, 08:04 PM
what form of alcohol are you all using? just rubbing or what...

gmblack3
06-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Also vette clear is very hard. So if the car has some serious swirls don`t get upset when you can`t do anything with them.

tustah
06-14-2006, 08:56 PM
I don`t get why you`re doing so many washes. From what I see, all you have to do is:

Clean wheels with DP jell

Wash car ONCE with Dawn

Glass polish with DP glass stuff

Clay bar

SSR2.5 ofr 1, depending on how bad it is

Poorboys polish

FMJ

Wax wheels with DP tire jell

Wheel dressing

G35 Mass
06-14-2006, 09:16 PM
I don`t get why you`re doing so many washes

Concerned about left over product causing problems down the line....

Deviant
06-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I don`t think all that excessive washing is necessary. Imo Dawn isn`t needed either, I would just keep it in the kitchen. The clay should take most if not everything off of your paint (contaminants, old wax, etc) The alchol rubdown I would do just after your done polishing everything.

Also like fujifast said, once you apply FMJ, I wouldn`t do anything more w/ the paint. Let it cure properly before you wash or do anything else to it. If you wash it again it`ll prob strip off a decent amount shortening the lifespan and reducing the apperance.

Ben Kenobi
06-14-2006, 10:01 PM
EDIT: this is what i would do...

wash wheels - product x

wash car - product x

clay(can also do this while washing or after) - product x

wash car(optional, if you didn`t wipe clean while claying) - product x

polish glass - product x

polishing steps - product x

ipa wipe down

wheels and wells

fmj

I`m pretty much with Fujifast except add in to wash the wheel wells when you do the wheels and tires. You can just rinse after the claying unless the soap has dried on, if so give it another light wash.

I would skip the IPA wipedown, never have had to do it but again I`ve never used FMJ.

You`ll be tired enough with the steps you needed to do, don`t add work for yourself. As gmblack said Corvette clear is very hard so don`t be too surprised. You may have to use a more agressive pad and polish combo. How do you like the DP gel by the way?

metal
06-14-2006, 11:11 PM
No need to dawn wash, just use a good car shampoo once; the claying and polishing itself will strip the old wax off, and what everyone says about Vette clear, its very hard so be prepared for that.