PDA

View Full Version : Good vs Great detailer what separates the two?

Pages : [1] 2

-Lebowski-
06-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I was outside after work putting a coat of Z8 on the A6 and I thought to myself :think: what makes a great vs. a good detailer. Anyone can put a shine on a vehicle and anyone can clean the interior.

Then I looked at my door jambs and all the hidden trim between them. Then I realized :idea it’s the door jambs, the hidden trim, the tight spots and the paint not on the exterior of the car that separates the men from the boys. I was at a car show over the weekend and was appalled at the poor condition that the "show" cars were in. Swirls everywhere, lack of shine and DIRTY DIRTY door jambs and interior crevices.

So that IMO is what makes a great detailer, what IYHO makes a great vs. good detailer?

Beason
06-14-2006, 02:32 PM
attention to the details...cleaning the wheel wells, door seals and jabs, cleaning the dust out from the vents, cleaning under the seats, inside of the wheels. stuff easily overlooked.

Setec Astronomy
06-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah, the details. To paraphase Mosca (how`s he doing, anyway?), it`s things like not having wax/polish in the trim, crevices, etc.

autobahn
06-14-2006, 03:08 PM
you don`t happen to be talking about the volksport show, are you?

or the german auto fest?

-Lebowski-
06-14-2006, 03:11 PM
you don`t happen to be talking about the volksport show, are you?

or the german auto fest?

No sorry...........

stilez
06-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Clean in the realest sense of the word...i.e. no tar, clean jams, no bugs, etc.

I also thing a 95%+ optically perfect surface makes a difference too, with nothing hiding. Many "detailers" love the compound, glaze, wax routine and the great ones take the time, do it right.

NEW AGAIN
06-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Everyone that replied to this post is correct with one exception. IMO time is $$$$$$$$$ and doing something out of the normal is spoiling the customer they will expect it the next time around.

imported_Picus
06-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Tons of "detailers" like glazes, as Sean mentioned. I`ve cleaned countless cars where after the wash I see new swirls and scratches that were previously hidden. *Removing* them is what`s hard, and what we get paid for. That and the little things; door jambs, whee wells, clean moldings, no wax build up, under spoilers and in every nook and cranny... Most folks don`t even see those things *until* they`re clean, but when they do see it, you`ve got a long time customer.

VroomVroom
06-14-2006, 04:21 PM
^^ That`s another fundamental issue, right? I just had that discussion with a friend this morning. I outlined some products for him to use (infrequent, apply by hand) and told him his vehicle would look better than 95% of the others on the road.

Using my admittedly-pie-in-the-sky math as an example, that means only 5% appreciate a great detail.

Along with the great comments above, I totally admire the ability to look at a vehicle, make fast and accurate decisions on what is needed to accomplish the tasks of improving it, and then efficiently make it happen so there is still profit in the job. Reading about and looking at some of the resident pros` work here I am constantly amazed. That combination of experience and talent - being able to catch the smallest detail while not losing touch of the overall goal - is impressive.

Honestly, it`s also a tool for explaining things to my wife. "Hey sweetheart...come here for a sec. If you think I`m anal, read this post." :)

imported_memnuts
06-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Simply cleaning and hi-lighting the places that I will only see along with the obvious areas. :xyxthumbs

imported_SHICKS
06-14-2006, 05:20 PM
I am not a pro detailer, but to me the difference would be in the custome service. No hassels. No smudges on glass, swirl free finsih(not hidden by glaze), no residue on black or between panels, on top of it all excellent customer service. Detailing is a service industry like a restaurant, if you get great service, you will go back, regardless if they have the best food or detailing. If I were to pay for detailing, I would not want to worry about my car. Ask yourself what you would expect? I wold say 90% of people could care less about their cars, but the 10% that pays for detailing expect a lot.

Steve

-Lebowski-
06-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Simply cleaning and hi-lighting the places that I will only see along with the obvious areas. :xyxthumbsRight on, someone said to me once, "No one is going to look there" to which I replied, "I will."

Pride in your work.

imported_GMCloud27
06-14-2006, 09:14 PM
I am not a pro detailer, but to me the difference would be in the custome service. No hassels. No smudges on glass, swirl free finsih(not hidden by glaze), no residue on black or between panels, on top of it all excellent customer service. Detailing is a service industry like a restaurant, if you get great service, you will go back, regardless if they have the best food or detailing. If I were to pay for detailing, I would not want to worry about my car. Ask yourself what you would expect? I wold say 90% of people could care less about their cars, but the 10% that pays for detailing expect a lot.

Steve

So incredibly true on the customer service side! I will always without question go that extra mile to make it seem as though my client is at a 5-star hotel with no dime and nickeling. It`s that impression you make on the client that makes them come back and not just the detail job (of course, that is a large percentage). More importantly are the first impressions and even if I take a small loss due to time or COG, in the long run, I`ll be very thankfull.

-Lebowski-
06-15-2006, 08:49 PM
So incredibly true on the customer service side! I will always without question go that extra mile to make it seem as though my client is at a 5-star hotel with no dime and nickeling. It`s that impression you make on the client that makes them come back and not just the detail job (of course, that is a large percentage). More importantly are the first impressions and even if I take a small loss due to time or COG, in the long run, I`ll be very thankfull.Excellent point!

salty
06-17-2006, 10:29 AM
One more thing is the products being used. Tried and true.

This site makes it alot easier than it used to be.