PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a ozone generator?

Pages : [1] 2

twopu
06-14-2006, 02:02 PM
I used a home version ozone generator in my car and it removed a mildew smell for several months. I have a few jobs coming up that are asking to help with cigarette smoke. I found one online a little cheaper than most and wanted to know if anyone has had experience with it.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/Uvonair%205000%20Ozone%20Generator.htm

imported_mburnickas
06-14-2006, 03:40 PM
I use Ozone in my home and my salt water reef tank.

That being state, I do run ozone (house unit) in my car every month for (1) hour. That is all.

but that unit looks like, well a ripoff. I would use a house unit to rid the smell then return use back in your home...That is me though.

autobahn
06-14-2006, 03:52 PM
isn`t ozone bad for you?!

imported_mburnickas
06-14-2006, 04:43 PM
no, not if used as it should. Anything in high dosages is bad.

I think the EPA limits is like .08 ppm. Been using ozone in my home for years (due to my 3 dogs). Also my reef tank; inject .020 mg/hour.

I would not live without it. If you are smart about it (like anything) you will be fine.

ahunt01
06-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Even with moderate to low levels of ozone in the air in my office or home, my nose starts to burn and my eyes water. Ozone generators make me feel sick, though it does take funk out of the air while in use. The generators I occasionally use produce ozone "within the healthy limit." One is the mini Ionic Breeze plug-in for my office, and the other is some whole-house generator capable of ozone-ing 3,000 sq/ft (though I have it turned nearly all the way down).

With that said, I really have to question the long-term effects of ozone being generated indoors. Sure, HEPA air filters may be loud and not practicle for automotive use other than in A/C units, but atleast they leave a refreshing true fresh smell in the air.

NEW AGAIN
06-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Hope this ANSWER some of your questions www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

imported_mburnickas
06-15-2006, 02:56 AM
Even with moderate to low levels of ozone in the air in my office or home, my nose starts to burn and my eyes water. Ozone generators make me feel sick, though it does take funk out of the air while in use. The generators I occasionally use produce ozone "within the healthy limit." One is the mini Ionic Breeze plug-in for my office, and the other is some whole-house generator capable of ozone-ing 3,000 sq/ft (though I have it turned nearly all the way down).

With that said, I really have to question the long-term effects of ozone being generated indoors. Sure, HEPA air filters may be loud and not practicle for automotive use other than in A/C units, but atleast they leave a refreshing true fresh smell in the air.

If using onzone you should not smell it at all. If you do, you are doing something incorrect.

But that being stated most times it is the same links and posts on Ozone. I have seen then starting in the back 1990’s. Some people use it and like it. Some are scared to death of it. Some think smog and ozone are the samething; which they are not.

http://www.ozoneservices.com/articles/007.htm

Oh, Lexus now has a UV bulb (produces ozone) in there HVAC sys to clean the air.

ahunt01
06-15-2006, 03:32 AM
Well, for the Ionic Breeze, I can`t use it incorrectly... it just plugs into the wall outlet. Oh sure I can turn the big unit at home all the way up and it feels like it could strip the paint off the walls lol.

But back to the topic of using it in automobiles, the big unit works great on high for an hour to remove smells for awhile. When I had my Civic repainted, paint smell was pretty strong in the cabin. Ozone blasting the interior for an hour pretty much removed the smell, and to my surprise it really didn`t come back. I`m okay with Ozone in that regard. I would imagine it would do good job removing cig. smells.

imported_mburnickas
06-15-2006, 04:23 AM
I know a ford dealer that uses ozone to clean smoke smell out of there rental cars.

chml17l
06-15-2006, 06:12 AM
Ozone is very effective at destroying odors because it does so at the molecular level of the source. It can be a more effective odor remover than chemical/mechanical cleaning methods that only reach into the very top layers of surfaces.

O3 molecules are very unstable and will seek out and react very quickly to give up an oxygen atom and return to the pure O2 state. So, once the interior is aired out, there is no reason to worry about any residual ozone hanging around that may be considered harmful. Ozone is a powerful oxidizer and you shouldn`t breathe a high conc. of it in a confined space. I don`t think that you could ever get a high enough conc. of ozone over a sufficiently long period of time to harm anything inside the interior of a car with a typical ozone generator.

You may want to try using a small fan to ensure the ozonated air is well dispersed throughout the car to help saturate every inch of the interior. Be sure to also run the ac/heating system fans for a period of time, too.

imported_mburnickas
06-15-2006, 07:04 AM
I agree. Unless the user had 10,000 mg/h of ozone in 100 sq/ft (example here). It will dissipate at a very high rate in a short amount of time.

Overtime and high(er) levels, plastic will get brittle and might discolor. Again that is running ozone 24/7 and at high(er) rates.

imported_Lightman
06-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Those ionic breezes are not ozonators, I believe they are negative ion generators, not the same thing. Hotels frequently use ozonators in smoking rooms, or if you have a pet in the room (which typically involves a $50 or so non refundable fee that covers the service). Negative ion generators are often paired with hepa filters to help clump airborne particles to the negative ions, for better trapping in the hepa (and also making a nice mess on whatever it`s blowing at)..and as posted above, ozone generators will actually stop something from smelling on a long term basis. I would recommend putting the windows up, putting the fan or a/c on recirculate, and blasting the car with ozone for a while... Don`t breathe it in when you first open the door to shut it off and you`ll be fine..

autobahn
06-15-2006, 08:43 AM
BTW, ionic breeze is crap. Pure, utter BS.

MBurnickas
06-15-2006, 08:47 AM

My wife has these and they suck, make the room smell like metal. For car applications this one is good though.

http://www.air-zone.com/xtpower.html

imported_mburnickas
06-15-2006, 08:48 AM

I was going to state about 6 hours ago.