PDA

View Full Version : Need tips before a photo shoot

VelvetRose
06-13-2006, 07:30 PM
My truck is going to be featured in either Ford Truck World Magazine or Trucks by Ten Magazines. It`s going to be shot at the beach at sunset with color filters etc.

Are there any tips or tricks for shine, tires, etc you would recommend I do before the shoot?

Thanks.

autobahn
06-13-2006, 08:19 PM
#1 use a glaze to fill in any imperfections that may be still in your paint after a good once-over with a polish. This won`t last long, but will look great for a shoot. Then use a carnauba as your final LSP, something good like p21s, s100, souveran, etc etc... won`t last long but will have an unbeatable shine.

tires - find a dressing that`s not too shiny, you want your truck to look classy not greasy. I hear the new michelin tire spray 3 in 1 stuff is great for a satin finish on the tires that looks good but not overdone.

congrats on the mag coverage! I`m sure others will chime in with their recommendations.

Escape Girl
06-13-2006, 08:26 PM
One thing a fellow autopian has taught me is to clean and dress those wheel wells. It really gives your truck a finished look and shows you pay attention to details.

-Lebowski-
06-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Another tip is to detail the whole tire with your dressing, tread and all for a uniform shine. Just lay down some plastic pour in the dressing and drive over it right before the shoot.

imported_themightytimmah
06-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Spray silicone-based tire dressing on the rims and buff the excess off with a towel. It sounds like a terrible idea, but it really glosses them up. It`ll attract brake dust like crazy, so clean them good with soap and water when you`re done.

imported_UnsanePyro
06-14-2006, 05:53 AM
That`s a good idea on the tire shine over the tread for the shoot.

I second what someone said about the wheel wells, it makes a huge difference. I can`t think of anything other than what has been said already, but best of luck, and make sure you show us, or at least let us know what mag it ends up in

seth812
06-14-2006, 06:15 AM
Another tip is to detail the whole tire with your dressing, tread and all for a uniform shine. Just lay down some plastic pour in the dressing and drive over it right before the shoot.

yea but be carefull driving around after that

InfamousDX
06-14-2006, 06:59 AM
But he`s going to be driving onto the beach... might as well dress the entire tire when it is in it`s final position.

VroomVroom
06-14-2006, 07:49 AM
From one TEN member to another, congrats in advance! That`s awesome....do you happen to know who`s doing the shoot?

Great advice above. I also recommend hitting all the plastic trim with the dressing of your choice. The only other thing that comes to mind - and this may be obvious - is to spend some time looking at your truck from many different angles. Get down on your stomach and look up - peek down from a ladder, etc. Photographers will use a lot of different angles and points of view for a magazine shoot. Inspecting your truck from the same angles they use will allow you to make sure you won`t see any embarrassing water spots or dirt/grime when you see your truck in print.

imported_CkretAjint
06-14-2006, 07:54 AM
DEFINATELY clean those wheel wells. Nothing worse then a gleaming car and dirty wells.

SnipeJDM
06-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Congrats on the photo shoot. What kind of truck?

VelvetRose
06-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

Here`s some pics of my truck. Baby Bigfoot (http://mybabybigfoot.spaces.msn.com/?_c02_owner=1)

The wheel wells I do all the time because it`s lifted. For the rear, I made polished gap guards instead of the usual plastic ones so I`m constantly polishing those.

Looks like it`s going to be a very detailed detailing day the day before. I`ll do the tire thingy when the truck is in place for the shot.

I`ve got a couple weeks yet as I`m working on new rims and finishing the interior.

Keep the advice coming! :wavey

novataco
06-15-2006, 09:07 PM
I am suprised the photographer/stylist aren`t handling the detailing. I don`t do commercial work, I am a photojournalist, but I would not want to show up on the day of a shoot counting on someone else to have the details right for me...

I would talk to the photographer directly and have them detail it if that is what they want. A lot of cosmetic surgery can be done in Photoshop but that costs money and time too. It`s always best for them to cover as much details as possible before the shoot to make the post-production easy.

seth812
06-16-2006, 12:52 PM
I am suprised the photographer/stylist aren`t handling the detailing. I don`t do commercial work, I am a photojournalist, but I would not want to show up on the day of a shoot counting on someone else to have the details right for me...

I would talk to the photographer directly and have them detail it if that is what they want. A lot of cosmetic surgery can be done in Photoshop but that costs money and time too. It`s always best for them to cover as much details as possible before the shoot to make the post-production easy.

the whole point of this site is to do detailing yourself

mikebai1990
06-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Whoa!! Looks nice.. The wheels are amazing. Good luck on your photo shoot!