PDA

View Full Version : Can you AIO/SG or wax exhaust tips?

imported_UnsanePyro
06-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Just wondering if you can or not, I just bought a used set off someone online and they are in OK condition, I`m actually polishing them right now with some Mother`s polish, but want to know if there is anything I can do to make them easier to clean or anything.

mblgjr
06-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Yes, I`ve heard of people using AIO on exhuast tips before.

I`m not sure than any product is really going to protect them for any real length of time due to the heat.

VelvetRose
06-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I`ve tried it on my exhaust tips and even my rims. I didn`t notice any extra protection.

scooterguitar
06-13-2006, 07:32 PM
I agree with the above. I use the AIO everywhere I can htink of, its great on wheels. Just got the SG and haven`t got to play wiht it too much yet.

autobahn
06-13-2006, 08:10 PM
yeah, it depends on the heat they see, if they get too hot to touch ever any AIO you put on probably won`t last long.

maybe something like motor kote would work good on them?

Jesstzn
06-13-2006, 08:43 PM
I have used AIO/SG on a heat shield that sat 2" from the exhaust manifold and it lasted. I have also used it on the tips .. they don`t get as hot as you think ..

autobahn
06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I have used AIO/SG on a heat shield that sat 2" from the exhaust manifold and it lasted. I have also used it on the tips .. they don`t get as hot as you think ..

I think the heat all depends on the exhaust setup.

My "turndown" tips on my GTI get hotter than blazes, but you can`t see them because they`re under the car so it`s not a big deal anyways ;)

imported_UnsanePyro
06-14-2006, 05:50 AM

I don`t think that mine will get that hot, they are larger than the pipe, and only contact the pipe over a very small area, so I can`t imagine too much heat transfer.

I`ll give it a shot and try and remmeber to let everyone know, worst case is taht I`ve used .001oz of AIO/SG that didn`t end up lasting

InfamousDX
06-14-2006, 06:55 AM
anyone know what to use on Titanium?

VroomVroom
06-14-2006, 07:54 AM
You may be surprised at how hot they get. I have 2.5" pipe leading to 4" x 18" tips on my SUV. They get hot. I don`t bother applying a protective coat, but have had great success with paint care products to remove baked-on grime. FWIW the only heat-resistant tips I`ve encountered are aggressively rolled designs a la Corsa, or on systems where the pipe itself extends a few inches into the back end of the tip, offering additional insulation. In my experience most of these designs involve stainless tips, where the goal is to prevent discoloration more than anything else.