PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a temp gun?

twopu
06-13-2006, 02:51 PM
After attending a Meguiars workshop, I`m tempted to buy more tools/toys. Now I know a temp gun isn`t necessary, but they are pretty handy. Anyone have experience with Raytek Minitemp MT4 or MT6?

http://www.infrared-usa.com/ProductList.aspx?CategoryID=4158

imported_Grouse
06-13-2006, 02:56 PM
I guess i would have to know more of what they would be used for. If it is jus tmonitoring you product as it goes on I would probably pass.

imported_Gears
06-13-2006, 06:13 PM
These things are great, I have both and use them constantly. Don`t know what use they would be to a detailer.

imported_themightytimmah
06-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Checking the paint temp under a rotary is really all I could think of.

twopu
06-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Rod Kraft (instructor) used it to demonstrate the heat generated with the rotary. I was planning on using it to monitor temp of paint during a detail, but I know you can tell by touch whether a surface is to hot. Like I said I`m just trying to justify another toy for my detailing arsenal. Also, clients seem impressed with the number of tools I use to work on their cars. I also figured it would be handy around the house.

Gears: Do you prefer one over the other? I`m trying to justify the $15 extra dollars for a holster and backlight (MT6).

autobahn
06-13-2006, 08:42 PM
I can imagine it would be a GREAT tool to use for a noob using a rotary.

-Lebowski-
06-13-2006, 08:53 PM
I can imagine it would be a GREAT tool to use for a noob using a rotary.That and making sure my pasta water is at just the right tempature of 221F

imported_Gears
06-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Rod Kraft (instructor) used it to demonstrate the heat generated with the rotary. I was planning on using it to monitor temp of paint during a detail, but I know you can tell by touch whether a surface is to hot. Like I said I`m just trying to justify another toy for my detailing arsenal. Also, clients seem impressed with the number of tools I use to work on their cars. I also figured it would be handy around the house.

Gears: Do you prefer one over the other? I`m trying to justify the $15 extra dollars for a holster and backlight (MT6).

If I had to have just one it would be the MT-6. I need the sub-zero temperature range.

The accuracy seems to be the same with both models. My MT-4 which is about 4 years old does have a backlight, not sure if the newer ones still have it though. I never use the holster, I have big pockets.

Setec Astronomy
06-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Twopu...that was just a demo, to show that a rotary can get the paint hot. It really has no practical application to detailing (although good for finding missing insulation in your walls during the winter). And if you are going to buy the Radio Shack magnifier, don`t be aware that they don`t make that one that Rod uses anymore. You`ll wind up with a 60X model that will allow you to examine the molecular structure of your paint, but good luck even getting it lined up to view any defects (field of view is so small at 60X).

the other pc
06-14-2006, 08:37 AM
For paint temp monitoring the cheaper gun will work as well at the other (but just putting your hand on the finish is easier on the fly).

The nice things about the more expensive unit come into play outside of detailing. The wider temperature range would be handy in the fridge or when playing with A/C. The slightly better accuracy is always nice (but rarely relevant) and the tighter measurement spot (10:1) would be handy under the hood and other places where you`re shooting temps on smaller objects.

The 60X magnifier is still useful for evaluating sanding scratch and compounding effectiveness. An eye loupe is more useful for most defects but I am planning on picking up a 30X scope (http://www.sciplus.com/singleItem.cfm?terms=8697&cartLogFrom=Search).

PC.