PDA

View Full Version : Removing Klasse SG

Pages : [1] 2 3

Taubs
06-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Following on from the wonderful advice from this forum, I bought both Klasse AIO and SG.

Firstly applied Pinnacle XTM UltraFine Swirl remover with a PC and then Klasse AIO, All was going well at this stage, apart from the finish had a slightly milky appearance, not the beginnings of the deep shine I was expecting.

Buffed the AIO off with a Sonus MF bonnet and applied the SG. Not sure if I maybe put too much SG, but this stuff seems really hard to remove.

Eventually managed to get the SG off with a polishing MF and some Detail spray, applying P21S over the top.

I`m still not getting the really deep wet look finish that I was expecting with this combination. Vehicle is a BMW in Sapphire Black metallic

Is there something wrong with my process?

Is the Klasse SG usually this difficult to remove or was I using too much?

Thanks in Advance for the Advice.

Accumulator
06-13-2006, 03:33 PM
Taubs- Welcome to Autopia!

The first red flag that came to mind was when you said " All was going well at this stage, apart from the finish had a slightly milky appearance, not the beginnings of the deep shine I was expecting..." IMO you need to get the finish just the way you want it *before* you move on to a LSP like KSG. The KSG will seal in the look you have achieved, but it won`t add anything much of its own.

Sounds like you needed to do more prep before the AIO. Things oughta look *just right* after the AIO gets buffed off, otherwise you have to go back and redo the prep.

And yeah, you put the SG on too thick, most people do. I put it on so thinly that I can barely see it on the panels, and that`s more than enough. I find it helpful to think of it as "bonding at the molecular level"; it`s not like "waxing" as most people think of it.

I like to "fog" the surface of the panels with my breath as I buff off the SG, but if you need a detailing spray you have too much on there. It`s not just about wasting product, it simply doesn`t work as well, let alone as easily, if you put it on thick. People have even had "blooming", where the SG made a haze after a while, when they put it on too thick.

Taubs
06-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks Accumulator,

So what would the reccomendation be on how to start from "scratch" - Excuse the pun ;-)

How do I get back "below" the SG, is it just a matter of using a polish with a light abrasive to remove the SG?

imported_steveo3002
06-14-2006, 01:09 AM
yep hit it with a light polish until your happy with the finish...your polish/pad choice may not be suitable for your paint

InfamousDX
06-14-2006, 07:03 AM
Will the AIO `clean` off the SG?

imported_steveo3002
06-14-2006, 08:28 AM
yes aio will take it off

Accumulator
06-14-2006, 08:58 AM
I`ll sometimes compromise the KSG with some rubbing alcohol. I`ve had healthy coats of SG gum up my polishing pads and leave a tenacious residue. Not always, but often enough that it`s worth mentioning.

Asonyexec
06-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Just dumped my bottle of SG......results are not worth the effort. There are many other products out there that give better results with less effort. Just one man`s opinion on this product.

Taubs
06-14-2006, 10:03 AM
what are some of the alternatives to KSG?

lpablo
06-14-2006, 11:08 AM
I would dump KSG too, but keep Klass AIO. You have to prep your car really well before KSG. My suggestion is to use Poorboy`s EX-P or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant.

Bradley
06-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I have used the Klasse Twins and find that no matter how thin of a layer I use with the SG I always have problems with getting it buffed off. I have heard advise on using a QD to assist with buffing the SG off but I fear that it alters the curing of the SG. I recently started using 4* Ultimate and it`s so easy to work with. You can treat your entire vehicle and then go back and buff with coucours towels followed by a MF towel. May be the lazy way out but I have almost given up on SG.

Accumulator
06-14-2006, 02:59 PM
I`d at least hold on to the KSG for stuff like the back side of wheels/etc. where durability is the most important thing ;) A few coats of SG make brakedust easy to wash off with just carwash shampoo.

imported_SHICKS
06-14-2006, 04:03 PM
SG is mainly my winter coat. Less is better, and a very well prepped surface is essintial. Clay, Polish, the whole nine yards. Done right SG is not bad at all. Durablity is amazing with 3+ layers. Looks could be better, I would not top it with a wax. If I wanted a wax look, I woud just use a wax. IMHO I have never seen a wax wear off, then get the benefits of SG. Other things to think about. Let it dry overnight, it will remove easier, also if you weather is humid and damp, I find it is difficult to remove. FWIW, it`s a winter product for me. I like to try a ton of new things in the summer.

reflections are great though

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/SMHICKS/resize.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a29/SMHICKS/Picture077.jpg

Steve

imported_GMCloud27
06-14-2006, 09:04 PM
I`d at least hold on to the KSG for stuff like the back side of wheels/etc. where durability is the most important thing ;) A few coats of SG make brakedust easy to wash off with just carwash shampoo.

Exactly! Just the reason I`m buying it--I`m leaving sealants for the rest of the car up to Werkstatt :woot2:

REaL
06-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Other things to think about. Let it dry overnight, it will remove easier, also if you weather is humid and damp, I find it is difficult to remove.

Steve

So after applying SG let it sit and wipe it off the next day? Can I also do another coat after I remove it or would you recommend waiting a few hours? Thanks.