PDA

View Full Version : Zaino v. Klasse v. BM v. Other?

Curlydave
06-13-2006, 06:24 AM
I`m know little about detailing. I bought a true red MX-5 a little over a month ago. The finish looks great, and I`d like to keep it that way for years. It`s brilliant now, but I`ve seen what older red cars look like: dull and bland. Shortly after I bought the car I bought and applied the mother`s claybar kit: clay bar, polish that doubles as clay lube, carnauba wax. I chose this because it`s what they had at Pep Boys.

I`m going to wax the car again before I take it to school, and I`m going to use a synthetic sealant this time. What products are recommended? I`ve heard good things about Zaino and Klasse. In addition, Black Magic won the Consumer Reports top wax award recently, so I`m interested in it as well.

Which synthetic sealant would you recommend? One of the three I mentioned, or maybe something else? As I understand it, Zaino is supposed to be better than Klasse, but Klasse is much simpler to use, because it includes wash, polish, sealant all in one.

RAG
06-13-2006, 06:41 AM
I`m know little about detailing. I bought a true red MX-5 a little over a month ago. The finish looks great, and I`d like to keep it that way for years. It`s brilliant now, but I`ve seen what older red cars look like: dull and bland. Shortly after I bought the car I bought and applied the mother`s claybar kit: clay bar, polish that doubles as clay lube, carnauba wax. I chose this because it`s what they had at Pep Boys.

---If you pull it into the sun, there is a chance you`ll see that clay can sort of scuff the surface unless you really know what you are doing and you`r real careful. Unless I`m only applying like 2 ounces of pressure on the clay, I always like to machine polish after claying.

---The best way to maintain your car will be through really, REALLY, careful washing...taking every precuation possble. Wax alone really doesn`t do much for a car in my opinion - more importantly, you must wash carefully, and clay/polish periodically.

I`m going to wax the car again before I take it to school, and I`m going to use a synthetic sealant this time. What products are recommended? I`ve heard good things about Zaino and Klasse. In addition, Black Magic won the Consumer Reports top wax award recently, so I`m interested in it as well.

--Zaino is good...so are a buch of others.

Which synthetic sealant would you recommend? One of the three I mentioned, or maybe something else? As I understand it, Zaino is supposed to be better than Klasse, but Klasse is much simpler to use, because it includes wash, polish, sealant all in one.

---Get a porter cable too.

imported_memnuts
06-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Zaino has been working for me for over 5 years. Great stuff and presently is the benchmark for sealants in over-all appearance (with proper prep) and durability.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/blkZ28Conv/C5andEscalade.jpg

RAG
06-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Blkz2con is right, prep is every thing. People who use the Zaino system typically go through extra lengths to prep the vehicle properly - that is the biggest benefit of the system...it convinces NOOBs to prep and maintain properly. But under the same prep and maintanence, I have found about 4 other sealants (I`m sure there is more) to work and look just as well as Zaino in head to head testing on my own vehicles and customers vehicles. I personally like FMJ, but Z2Pro, UPP, EX-P, and AJ are all just as good in their own right. Again, it`s the prep that counts, with a good machine polish being the biggest key - waz/sealant will only put the icing on the cake.

ZaneO
06-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Forget about Consumer Reports and Black Magic.

AL-53
06-13-2006, 09:21 AM
If you want a nice durable product....and you may find it local at carquest..try the Duragloss products...very durable and a great shine and protection...My GF`s Honda did fine thru the winter with it..and I used Klasse twins..and the Duragloss kept up with it...and still looks good..

all products are synthetic

I would get

bonding agent #601

Clearcoat polish#111 (actually a sealant)

Aquawax #951 a spray sealant for after a wash..best used when car is dried...do a search on it here ..it is a fine product for the money...it is not a QD....but a sealant..

you can also order from their site... for little money you will get a nice product that is so easy to use.... www.duragloss.com

Al

MBurnickas
06-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Zaino is supposed to be better than Klasse, but Klasse is much simpler to use, because it includes wash, polish, sealant all in one.

Either would be my choice, but klasse is a lot harder to use than Zaino. It streaks and with Zaino all you have to do is a little mixy then it`s very easy on and off. I like Zaino better myself but the argument for klasse is that is more economical, one 16ox bottle of sg will last a decade or more, and I would bet you would use your Zaino up in a couple years, it`s just fun to use. It is also a more complete system, z6/z8/z7/z16/yadayada.. I say get both Zaino and klasse. I would get the whole Zaino line (z2pro/zfx/z8/z6/z16 and if you have leather z9/10) if you have the means and add to that AIO/KVLRP. AIO/Z2Pro is still my favorite lsp combo, they work well together. This is the old z5 over AIO.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IMAG0023.JPG

-Lebowski-
06-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Forget about Consumer Reports and Black Magic.Black magic makes some decent tire products but its not going on my paint! I would highly recomend Zaino for its ease of use (minus mixing) over all look and longevity.

-Lebowski-
06-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Oh and if you are dead set on getting and OTC product go for MothersFX line vs any Megs product out there IMO.