PDA

View Full Version : water spots on black trim

imported_carclean
06-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I have water spots on the black metal trim of my car. The car is a honda crv. The trim parts are the wide strips between the front and back windows, and about 1 inch strips between the glass and the door. What is recommended to get rid of these spots without damaging the finish. I tried scrubbing them with my car shampoo and a wool wash mit, but that did not get them off. thanks.

imported_themightytimmah
06-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Klasse AIO and a foam applicator pad via hand should do it.

imported_carclean
06-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Will the Klasse get rid of the spots, or just "cover" them up until the Klasse wears off? What about a very mild solution of vinegar and water?

buzzb
06-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner and should remove the spots, not cover them up. Give it a try and let us know how it worked out.

maecrispy
06-13-2006, 12:23 PM
I`d hesitate to use vinegar as it`s an acid. While it would probably dissolve the mineral residue that makes up the water spot, there`s a chance it might etch the metal as well.

AIO is probably a good solution as the combination of chemical and cleaning abilities will probably be enough to remove the spots.

For some trouble spots I`ve had with chrome pipes, I`ve had good success with VM and #0000 steel wool but that might be too abrasive for your trim.

imported_carclean
06-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the tips. I looked at the trim more closely, and it is not bare black metal. It seems to be painted with something, but I cannot tell exactly what. Is there an OTC cleaner that would be as good (or almost as good) as the Klasse AIO, or is the Klasse the best of that type of product. Thanks.

DM101
06-13-2006, 12:55 PM
What kind of cleaner wax do you have now? Sounds like black paint over aluminum.

imported_carclean
06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
I hate to admit on this forum, but I have not used a cleaner wax. I use some of the high end shampoos and spray waxes recommended on this forum, and my car looks great - for about 2 days until it is covered by dust. I live in Los Angeles, and with the smog and dust, cars get covered fairly quickly here. Is there an OTC cleaner wax which is almost as good as Klasse AIO, or is it really worth the extra cost?

DM101
06-13-2006, 04:14 PM
If you don`t do much detailing get Meguiare`s Cleaner Wax. Nothing special just a good all purpose wax. Now keep using it on a regular basis!

imported_themightytimmah
06-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Collinite makes a cleaner wax. I forget which #, but its the one I`d use.

buzzb
06-13-2006, 06:51 PM
I`ve heard good things about Meguiar`s Color X being similar to AIO as well.

imported_carclean
06-13-2006, 09:04 PM
I`ll get some Color X and see if it works. I`ll post a reply about the results.

imported_carclean
06-15-2006, 10:19 AM
I found out today that the surface of the black trim is actually plastic. It is a "sticker." I will use the 1Z plastic cleaner I have to see if it gets the spots off.

Jake11375
06-15-2006, 10:49 AM
I`ll second Meg`s cleaner wax... if you don`t mind waxing every week or so. It doesn`t bead very long at all. It makes your paint look good though.