PDA

View Full Version : first use of optimum no rinse

Pages : [1] 2

webstrive
06-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Hi,

I know there have been several theads on this, but I finally tried ONR. My car was hardly dirty but I really liked the product.

I used 2 gallons water + 2 ounce ONR and I think 6 or 7 MF. I washed the car really quickly and came out with a nice shine. I don`t think there was any marring caused by it, but I`ll have to try when the car is dirtier.

It was great being able to work in the garage, hardly using any water and now my neighbours don`t have to see me washing my car every week. No worries about the weather, and very little setup and clean up. Just toss the MF in the washing machine afterwards, no hand washing of mitts and dealing with hose / foam guns, hardly any water dripping out of cracks. I think it leaves some sort of protection behind, but I`m not sure. I was pleased to see that it was fine on glass, plastic, etc.

An aside, I have noticed that at least 3 of my neighbours have started washing their cars on their driveway, I think I started a trend ... I guess they all don`t think I`m nuts

But ... I`m afraid to try this on a dirty car. How do you deal with a really dirty vehicle, perhaps blot areas with ONR? I was thinking in really dirty cars to take out some wash mitts or large sponge and blot, then follow with MF and wipe. What are the limits of ONR .. anyone have pics of how dirty a car can be and safely use ONR?

I`d really like to hear detailed steps on how people are using this, thanks!

xTravBx
06-12-2006, 01:24 PM
I would just avoid using it on a really dirty car.

My 2 cents - obviously just an opinion.

legionofdoom
06-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Sounds like most people will pressure wash it first before using the ONR if the car is really dirty. If you don`t have a hose yourself you can go to one of those DIY car washes...

spotter
06-12-2006, 01:57 PM
I would rather use the Optimum No Rinse on a filthy car than use a pressure washer to beat the dirt around on the paint. When really dirty or with winter salt, I use more than one bucket of water and use several more towels and have not seen any evidence of marring. Using this in the winter is the best part of all.

racingbeat
06-12-2006, 02:24 PM
yeah I agree I think pressure washing causes more problems than it helps. The amount of water to dry up afterwards (if you can`t dettach the nozzle) also encourages marring because you have to rub on the paint more.

imported_mburnickas
06-12-2006, 02:27 PM
I would rather use the Optimum No Rinse on a filthy car than use a pressure washer to beat the dirt around on the paint. When really dirty or with winter salt, I use more than one bucket of water and use several more towels and have not seen any evidence of marring. Using this in the winter is the best part of all.

Yup I love when people Pressure wash then they have issues!!!!LOL

imported_DARKSTI
06-12-2006, 09:47 PM
I use the pressure washer at the locla car wash (on the lowest setting) in the winter, I never have any problems with marring or scratching.

Scottwax
06-12-2006, 09:52 PM
I`ve had no problems washing absolutely filthy cars with ONR or QEW using the single bucket method. If you want to pick through about 90 pages of my autopia gallery, I have a few examples of really nasty vehicles I`ve cleaned using QEW, which has about the same cleaning ability as ONR.

MorBid
06-12-2006, 10:21 PM
I`d like to know how pressure washing "beats" dirt into the car`s paint?

It would seem to be that if the water pressure was that high you`d be stripping the paint in the first place.

ronmart
06-12-2006, 10:22 PM
I just tried out ONR tonight on the hood of my wife`s cashmere beige (gold) Lexus and my black Mercedes. Both seemed to do okay without any marring, even though they were reasonably dirty (but recently sealed and carnuaba`d so they were in great shape). I was very skeptical, but it did okay. Neither vehicle cleaned with the pop that I get from using Griots Car wash, but it did work for a quick pinch situation.

I`ll try it more later and post the results.

I only mixed 1 cap with about 1 gallon of water and used a yellow autopia tropical breeze (i.e., cheapo) microfiber for the wipe down, and the crappy yellow with red edged ultimate drying towel for the drying. I finished it off with some Poorboys Spray and Wipe to get a little more pop.

Vegas1
06-13-2006, 01:53 AM
I`ve had no problems washing absolutely filthy cars with ONR using the single bucket method.

Same here! ONR is an excellent product.

EMazda3S
06-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Add another to the ONR dirty car brigade. No problems for me thus far and it`s been about four years with QEW and then the last 3 months with ONR. BTW, DP 4 in 1 is another excellent no rinse wash product, very similar to ONR and QEW.

If the car is extremely filty, I will pre-treat with a spray bottle or garden sprayer to loosen the caked on dirt. This is usually only necessary on the Winter. I use the two bucket method and a mix of cotton chenille pads, chenille, mits and a grout sponge. Sheepskin, Sea Sponge and MF`s work great too. It`s all in the technique. If you don`t pay attention and/or use the right tools, you will mar the surface. If you do it right, you will be fine regardless of how much dirt is on the car. Rinsless is the only car wash I have used for the last four years except for an emergency touchless a few times and I have never seen any wash induced marring.

Way2SSlow
06-13-2006, 05:16 AM
What kind mitt or washpad are you guys using with ONR?

racingbeat
06-13-2006, 08:00 AM
I`ve had no problems washing absolutely filthy cars with ONR or QEW using the single bucket method. If you want to pick through about 90 pages of my autopia gallery, I have a few examples of really nasty vehicles I`ve cleaned using QEW, which has about the same cleaning ability as ONR.

single bucket? or do you mean two buckets?

Do you stick with the 1 ounce for one gallon? seems like its not nearly enough to me.

DM101
06-13-2006, 09:28 AM
My 05 RX8 has never seen a garden hose. I use 1 5 gal bucket (w/grit guard) method with 2 caps of ONR / gal. I use quality MF towels for washing and drying. I also try not to drive it in the rain. Works for me!