PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna Pro Polishes (PO85RD and PO106FF)?

jdthompson
06-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Does anyone have any experience with these when used with "domestic" polishers like the PC and Cyclo?

For once being in the UK seems to have paid off as I`ve found we can get the Menzerna Pro polishes at a really good price ($11 for 8oz) so I`m tempted, but naturally a little wary of the "pro" nature of them.

So, has anyone used them, are they fool-proof, and suitable for use with a Cyclo on new (factory Porsche) paintwork?

TIA,

Paul

Bill D
06-12-2006, 06:51 AM
You can actually even use the "PO twins" by hand without ill effects. As a matter of fact, they are the only thing I`ve found that can eliminate mild marring ( from hard claying for example) from Audi clear this way. Via Cyclo/PC they ought to work just fine.

My listing states 85RD is the milder of the two, so that`s what I used . I`d recommend that one on a new car.

DM101
06-12-2006, 06:55 AM
I use the PO85RD and love it. It is gentle on the paint and leaves a unbeleivable sp finish. You can go straight to your lsp if you want , but I add in Red Moose glaze after.

jdthompson
06-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks both. My listing also suggests the 85 is milder than the 106.

What I`m not too familiar with (due to the lack of info) is when you would use the 106 over the 85, from the sounds of it not often at all on factory paint?

Also, and I`ve asked on the Machine Polishing thread but as you`ve both used these products, can you give me an idea how much an "average" polishing of a convertible car uses?

The place I order from works out cheapest to ship 2kg so I`d probably go for 32oz of the 85 and 2 or 3 of the 8oz of the 106.

TIA,

Paul

Bill D
06-12-2006, 07:09 AM
I`d use the 106 if the 85 didn`t remove all the defects entirely, then maybe finish up with the 85 again.

I recently detailed a Porsche convertible although I didn`t use Menzerna. The car is a `98 and had some ample marring so it needed two polishes almost entirely throughout the paint work. I carry all my polishes in 2 oz bottles and I`d say maybe I used close to half for the more aggressive polish and maybe a little less than that for the finishing polish. Small amounts of polish really do go a long way especially on a nice little roadster. It all depends on the size of the car and the depth of the defects in the paint.

jdthompson
06-12-2006, 07:12 AM
Thanks Bill, it is (will be when they build it) a Boxster so that sounds fairly accurate, sounds like getting more of the 85 makes sense, and from what you`ve said on quantities 32oz of that and 16 or 24oz of the 106 should last me pretty much forever.

Thanks very much.

Paul

gmblack3
06-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Mixing about 30% of RMG in with the 106ff will increase the working time and provide outstanding results.

jdthompson
06-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Pardon my ignorance but RMG?

Alfisti
06-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Clearkote Red Machine Glaze

imported_Picus
06-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I always found that the PO`s finish down almost indentically, so I almost always go with 106FF just because it`s got more bite.

porta
06-12-2006, 10:15 AM
I never mix in a glaze with a superb polish like PO85RD. A little goes long way so you donĂ‚´t need any extra lubrication IMO.

EDIT:

Sorry my mistake, you were talking about PO106FF.

jdthompson
06-15-2006, 09:11 AM
They`ve arrived today. These are the first "proper" polishes I`ve ever had and I`m a little surprised how you can feel the grit of the PO85RD, guess it`s all about perception and I`d assumed being so light a cut that it would feel totally liquid.